Drain Holes For Nox Coil Cover

Deep1

I have never used a detector that has such a problem with a coil cover filling full of dirt and sand.Got tired of having to remove coil cover to clean.It's really bad at the beach, if I'm working just above waterline and a wave comes in and fills my cover full of water and sand, even though it's only a few ounces it feels like 5 lbs. And it's nice after hunting dry sand and putting it in the back of my Jeep and watch sand pour out. Had enough of that.

Drilled some 9/64" drain holes in the cover, be sure you take it off the loop first.

It will help a lot. Had very little sand after a beach hunt, usually the coil is packed.Since I took this pic, I have drilled 1/4" holes at 12:00 and 6:00, use those for flushing, put the hose to the top hole and let it flow out of the bottom. Don't run the water full blast, unless you wanna get wet.

20190520_230506_Burst01.jpg

• Like 7

It helps to minimize falsing and I can run run at a higher sensitivity. It adds to my detector comfort, before the coil would pack with wet sand and add noticeable weight to the coil, now I don't tire a fast.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Cutting a small portion ...1” long off the back bottom without cutting the side works for water hunting.   You can dunk the coil up and down in the water and it will drain out the back.

Good idea dew!

21 hours ago, midalake said:

Coil cover?? what coil cover.

DSC00815.JPG

Is that Maple frosting??? Yummmmm. I should do that since I am on the beach all winter long. What did you use?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Is that Maple frosting??? Yummmmm. I should do that since I am on the beach all winter long. What did you use?

The honey comb part is filled with shoe goo, and the coil part is covered with marine epoxy. Been putting this on coils for 20 years.

Dave 

• Like 1

I use loctite marine epoxy on my coil COVER..... but not the coil.   I was going thru a cover every 4 or 5 months.   As pricy as the ML coils are ......id rather replace a cover.   At least we arent dealing with what we used to in water machines........that being they aint hard wired.   I assume the shoe goo surves two purposes..... fill the gap and make it float just a bit.   Thou anything moving with the coil normally dont get picked up by the machine...... we used to use SS bolts.  

4 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I use loctite marine epoxy on my coil COVER..... but not the coil.   I was going thru a cover every 4 or 5 months.   As pricy as the ML coils are ......id rather replace a cover.   At least we arent dealing with what we used to in water machines........that being they aint hard wired.   I assume the shoe goo surves two purposes..... fill the gap and make it float just a bit.   Thou anything moving with the coil normally dont get picked up by the machine...... we used to use SS bolts.  

Dew Agree - applying it directly to the coil just gives ML an excuse to not honor warranty replacement of the coil should you encounter an issue.  Have at it after the warranty period, if desired.

To Dave - I still wonder if your surf detecting issues partially stem from an intermittent coil issue, perhaps exacerbated when the coil is under the dynamic stresses associated with water loading.  Again, just a thought because your experiences are pretty bad compared to other folks.

Just a thought on removing the coil cover and coating the bottom surface of the coil with epoxy...  I had removed the coil cover on my AT Pro for beach / water detecting.  I inadvertently hit a rock underwater with the side of my coil and chipped and cracked the plastic which led to a leak and a new coil.  Coating the bottom surface of the coil isn't enough depending on where and how you are detecting.

Like Dew said above, I'd sooner replace a coil cover than a costly coil.  I've detected fresh and saltwater beaches in FL and New England and never found it difficult to remove the coil cover after each outing while cleaning my Nox.  I also keep a spare coil cover just in case.

GL&HH