Drain Holes For Nox Coil Cover

Deep1

I wonder if a warranty issue arose with a cracked or damaged coil, if they would blame it more on the fact of not using a cover than the use of epoxy. 

Coil cover serves 2 purposes, to protect the bottom and sides of the coil. I've heard many stories of people damaging the side of the coil by hitting rocks, usually they didn't have a coil cover. A coil cover will blunt the shock of hitting something like a rock and it will least likely suffer damage, as opposed to no cover.

I considered epoxy, but the 800 is so nose heavy to me that I didn't want to add anymore weight to the coil. I can feel the extra weight of a few ounces of water when the 800 came out of the water to dry beach, I would probably be adding more weight in epoxy than what water weighs and I didn't want to be swinging that extra weight all day.

So, to me the simplest solution was to take 30 seconds to drill some holes in the bottom of my cover. 

After 2 beach hunts and a dirt hunt, I removed the cover, there wasn't enough sand or dirt to amount to anything.I will no longer have to remove the cover to clean the coil and I still have complete bottom and side protection. Won't have to worry about warranty questions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I use loctite marine epoxy on my coil COVER..... but not the coil.   I was going thru a cover every 4 or 5 months.   As pricy as the ML coils are ......id rather replace a cover.   At least we arent dealing with what we used to in water machines........that being they aint hard wired.   I assume the shoe goo surves two purposes..... fill the gap and make it float just a bit.   Thou anything moving with the coil normally dont get picked up by the machine...... we used to use SS bolts.  

The shoe goo IS to keep sand out of those openings, nothing else. The buoyancy on the coil is unchanged. The coil cover still fits, if one so desires to use it. 

Dave

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

To Dave - I still wonder if your surf detecting issues partially stem from an intermittent coil issue, perhaps exacerbated when the coil is under the dynamic stresses associated with water loading.  Again, just a thought because your experiences are pretty bad compared to other folks. 

You think too much...………..?

5 hours ago, Deep1 said:

I considered epoxy, but the 800 is so nose heavy to me that I didn't want to add anymore weight to the coil. I can feel the extra weight of a few ounces of water when the 800 came out of the water to dry beach, I would probably be adding more weight in epoxy than what water weighs and I didn't want to be swinging that extra weight all day.

The epoxy and shoe goo is lighter than the coil cover. Everyone is missing the main point!  It is to completely stop sand/black sand from packing under the coil cover. Nothing enters the coil I have.  I fear holes/slots only let stuff in and may not "drain" well.
I know for a fact sand and even dirt between the cover and coil on a Sovereign can, and will drive it nuts. I can  imagine the Nox with it's increased sensitivity would even be worse.

For the record, I have never had a coil fail done like this. I have 3 Sovereign coils that had the sheave break into bits, but that epoxy is still going strong.

Dave 

Have you noticed that all coil covers' bottom surfaces, not only the ones for the Equinox, aren't smooth?  What I do with my coil covers for all the detectors I have had and now the Equinox, is to put a bead of RTV silicone all around the top edges of the coil cover, making sure that the silicone does not get between the cover and the coil.  But the Equinox coil has numerous areas that have to be sealed, and this takes some time to accomplish.  Anyway, the 11" coil has been sealed this way, and soon a 6" coil that I bought from Amazon.  

• Like 1

Deep 1,  I've been drilling numerous holes in my coil cover for years and, like you said, it works fine and the coil itself is still protected.

After years of hunting the beaches, I found that with a solid coil cover, no matter how well you try and seal them, salt water and sand gets in there.  The real problem comes from the indisputable fact that once in there, the sand has no way to get out thus the problem.  After I drilled holes in the cover, the water flushes out the sand and I'm good to go.

When I get home and remove the coil cover, I find there's only a few isolated grains of sand left...not nearly enough to cause any problems whatsoever.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, midalake said:

The epoxy and shoe goo is lighter than the coil cover. Everyone is missing the main point It is to completely stop sand/black sand from packing under the coil cover. Nothing enters the coil I have.  I fear holes/slots only let stuff in and may not "drain" well.

Thanks for explaining it.  So you are saying, everyone who is using drain holes in covers are setting themselves up for a performance degradation in the water.  That's not good!  I wonder why so many do it that way, then?  

5 minutes ago, FloridaSon said:

Tanks Col,

did you drill similar sized holes as the OP?

I drilled a series of larger holes on the wider areas of the cover and numerous small holes around the narrow rim area.

• Like 2