Drain Holes For Nox Coil Cover

Deep1

Here is a photo of how I modified the coil cover on my EQX 800. Works fine for me on our Florida beaches. One swipe in the water and the sand flushes out.

image.jpeg.8ce325ada58a385abb77f7d220d92cef.jpeg

• Like 6

I suggest you start to drill your holes from the inside of the cover.  That way there's no ridges left on the inside to impede the flow of water.

Just the view from my foxhole...

• Like 5

I don’t know that the Nox IS as affected like older model machines.   Here in Fl of course we don’t have nearly the minerals.  Like I said that accusation of sand in the cross arms doesn’t really affect the detector unless it moves separate from the detector.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

I don’t know that the Nox IS as affected like older model machines.   Here in Fl of course we don’t have nearly the minerals.  Like I said that accusation of sand in the cross arms doesn’t really affect the detector unless it moves separate from the detector.   

Granted, our beaches are relatively low in mineralization where I normally hunt.  But since all beaches are different, my simple reasoning is this;  if sand isn’t supposed to be there, I want it outta there. ?

• Like 3

As far as those cross over..... i mentioned cutting the off and everyone came unglued lol.    The Xcal dont need um and this coil is as solid at that one.   Once the warranty is gone so are those babies.   I really think the coil will hold less sand and move better in the water.    Im using another machine currently .... it has the tightest coil cover ever....... but still fills with sand.    Id say it affects those with a lot of mineralization doing a GB than me...... using 0 GB in light mineral sand.  The Explorers used to be really bad about the least little bit of sand under the cover too.   Would a coil wear faster with all those holes.......and would it move away from the coil when moved in the water making it harder to swing out there?   Anyone whose used a CTX in the water knows those cross fins act almost like a rutter as they come away from the coil.  You can tell the difference with the coil cover off.  At least these on the Nox seem to stay attached.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned before, what I have done with the coil covers of every detector I have owned, and now the Equinox, is to seal the top edges of the cover with RTV silicone. Since the Equinox coil and cover are black, I used black color RTV silicone, making sure that none of it gets inside the cover.  I wear tight-fitting latex or nitrile gloves, and next to me I have two or three clean rags for cleaning the mess after I am done.  This is a lot easier to do with covers other than the ones for the Equinox since there are a lot of areas to seal.  A reason why I never drill holes on the coil cover is as follows:

The outer surface of the coil cover is not smooth, but instead a sort of satin finish, which in turn reduces drag when detecting wet sand.  But having holes on the cover creates drag if you rub the coil/cover on the wet sand as it gets inside the holes.  It also happens if you are detecting areas with mud.  In this case, the mud-just like wet sand-gets inside. If you are detecting near water, then you can rinse the coil and cover whenever wet or dry sand get inside the coil.  The choice is yours.

8 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

As I mentioned before, what I have done with the coil covers of every detector I have owned, and now the Equinox, is to seal the top edges of the cover with RTV silicone. Since the Equinox coil and cover are black, I used black color RTV silicone, making sure that none of it gets inside the cover.  I wear tight-fitting latex or nitrile gloves, and next to me I have two or three clean rags for cleaning the mess after I am done.  This is a lot easier to do with covers other than the ones for the Equinox since there are a lot of areas to seal.  A reason why I never drill holes on the coil cover is as follows:

The outer surface of the coil cover is not smooth, but instead a sort of satin finish, which in turn reduces drag when detecting wet sand.  But having holes on the cover creates drag if you rub the coil/cover on the wet sand as it gets inside the holes.  It also happens if you are detecting areas with mud.  In this case, the mud-just like wet sand-gets inside. If you are detecting near water, then you can rinse the coil and cover whenever wet or dry sand get inside the coil.  The choice is yours.

Hi Ray

There are just too many inches of RTV caulk line to make sure a seal is 100% correct where no water or sand will enter. This is why I recommend my process of direct protection without a cover. Also if you are careful and not sloppy the coil cover can still be attached if you so desire.

You also bring up a good point about "holes" in a cover. This will not work in my case as I always "scrub" my targets while identifying them and digging them. The scrubbing will just jam product into the holes. 

Cheers Dave 

I dont beleive the PRODUCT will remain long in the cover Dave..... But i think my bigger concern is .... over time could those hole stretch the cover...or as it moves create drag as water enters those holes?   On the CTX..... those cross bars dont hold the cover properly...... works just like a rudder  creating more drag..... like there isnt enough with that huge shaft already.

I drilled holes in my NOX cover similar to Colonel Dan, used it wading last week. Seems to be easier to swing under water (wading) maybe because not as much sand stays in now. Opened it up afterwards and just a little sand left around the rim where I did not drill holes, I figured I can always add more but I will keep it like this. Thanks Colonel Dan!

So works for me but YMMV.

Cheers