Drain Holes For Nox Coil Cover

Deep1

15 hours ago, midalake said:

Hi Ray

There are just too many inches of RTV caulk line to make sure a seal is 100% correct where no water or sand will enter. This is why I recommend my process of direct protection without a cover. Also if you are careful and not sloppy the coil cover can still be attached if you so desire.

You also bring up a good point about "holes" in a cover. This will not work in my case as I always "scrub" my targets while identifying them and digging them. The scrubbing will just jam product into the holes. 

Cheers Dave 

It takes me from 20 to 30 minutes at the most to seal the gap between the coil and cover.  What I do is to buy a 10-oz tube of silicone at Lowe's or Home Depot (costs around $2.00), and use a caulking gun to apply it.  I cut just a little bit of the tube's nozzle so that a very narrow bead of silicone flows out, and immediately after push the silicone down into the gap with the tip of my gloved finger, and slide the fingertip along the line or bead of silicone.  The next step is to clean the excess silicone with one of a few clean rags I have near, and then start the same process on the next spot.  There aren't any open gaps or holes when I am done with it, and the silicone looks nice and shiny all around.

Now, I can understand that if one detects in the water holes on the coil cover should not be a problem since both are easily rinsed.  But if detecting dry sand, or muddy areas the holes can be a problem.  But then, coil covers are relatively cheap. One can have a set with holes, and another one without for detecting dry sand or mud.

The only way to properly do the silicon thing is ....... FILL the cover with it then connect it to the coil and remove the excess.   Otherwise if you are SALT WATER hunting silicon easily comes loose enough to get sand in..... UNLESS you use RTV.  Its a little better and sticker.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

The only way to properly do the silicon thing is ....... FILL the cover with it then connect it to the coil and remove the excess.   Otherwise if you are SALT WATER hunting silicon easily comes loose enough to get sand in..... UNLESS you use RTV.  Its a little better and sticker.  

I use RTV silicone, and don't fill the coil cover with it, just the gap between the cover and the coil. Never have had any leakage with any of the coils i have sealed this way.  However, the coil and cover must be thoroughly cleaned before sealing. 

No.  But pure RTV silicone is not affected by fresh nor salt water.  The areas you are bonding with it must be clean and dry, just like when using it to seal the corners of tiled-showers. Long ago I used a Teknetics detector along the ocean beach when living in CA, and never had trouble with the RTV silicone I used.  

A final note:  I don't see any trouble at all by having drain holes on the coil cover as long as one detects in the water, simply because the coils is being rinsed constantly.  

16 hours ago, RayfromAK said:

No.  But pure RTV silicone is not affected by fresh nor salt water.  The areas you are bonding with it must be clean and dry, just like when using it to seal the corners of tiled-showers. Long ago I used a Teknetics detector along the ocean beach when living in CA, and never had trouble with the RTV silicone I used.  

A final note:  I don't see any trouble at all by having drain holes on the coil cover as long as one detects in the water, simply because the coils is being rinsed constantly.  

Constant draining is indeed the key to this set up.  But I also use this in the dry sand.  I normally hunt east to west and when I get near the water on that east/ west path, the water quickly flushes out the sand.  This method and set up has been very successful for me but as I always say, it's  just the view from  my foxhole....?

Only issue i could see is...... yes constant draining..... but more movement of the sand in the cover as well.  The machine tends to kind of balance out sand NOT moving better than say ..... Explorers do.... but if its moving until it gets out of a hole will it pick it up and what affect might that have?  If water is going in those holes as you swing...... will it push the cover away from the coil more..... causing a bit more drag wand when scraping the bottom..... a bit more sand?

On 6/8/2019 at 6:36 AM, Chase Goldman said:

Thanks for explaining it.  So you are saying, everyone who is using drain holes in covers are setting themselves up for a performance degradation in the water.  That's not good!  I wonder why so many do it that way, then?  

I’ve been hunting in water and sand with drain holes in my coil cover for many years and have never experienced performance degradation in the least but as I always say, that’s just the view from my foxhole.

T

21 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I’ve been hunting in water and sand with drain holes in my coil cover for many years and have never experienced performance degradation in the least but as I always say, that’s just the view from my foxhole.

Dan, I think you've made that abundantly clear.  However, by quoting my several weeks old post without the quote I was originally referring to and that was contained in my original post to a specific poster's claim that "everyone" was missing his point and his "fear" that the cover would not drain effectively, you lost the context and meaning of my post.  Note that I was asking a question of the subject "quoted" poster trying to pin down their position on drain holes and their implied stance that direct sealing the coil was not only superior to using drain holes but that drain holes were detrimental to performance for the reasons he stated (i.e., his fear of insufficient draining).  I was not making a claim or statement directly to you or others using drain holes for or against drain holes  (IMO - they appear to be very effective based on the number of folks successfully using them) but merely was, in my question, noting the irony in his claim given that several folks, including you, posted how drain holes provided a benefit to keeping the coil clean and that none of you were reporting having issues salt water detecting using the altered coil covers.  In other words no one seemed to be having any problems with the altered covers draining effectively as was his claim/fear.  The question was never addressed with a direct reply btw....?