Hunting Close To Home

Great finds, Strick!   I agree that those officer hat pins are the highlight.  One is almost brand new (I see you had to straighten out the bent rim) and the other well worn.  Or is the wear actually just the result of a poor strike?  Why would a hat pin suffer a lot of wear?  Also, do you know what that tag marked 'Utah' is?

Thanks GB...Dont know why it would be worn like that. I think these items were coming from an old dumping site and then the dirt got redistributed to the areas I'm hunting. The Utah tag has the Utah state seal on it... I was wondering if the tag belonged to a soldier that served on the USS Utah? That ship did serve up and down the west coast before it was sunk at pearl Harbor. Or maybe just belonged to a proud soldier from Utah. 

srick

• Like 1

That’s a fantastic assortment of WW2 history!

A friend and I have been researching the different training bases that were all over Florida back then in hopes of similar finds.  Unfortunately so much has been built on or paved over and with so much corporate holding of real estate when you find a spot that may still have the goods it’s tough work getting permission. 

I guess if it was easy it wouldn’t be any fun, and often times I enjoy the research just as much as the finds!  

• Like 2

You're making some great finds there! 

That silver officers hat pin came out great.  I like that Utah tag too, any idea what it was used for?

• Like 1

Strick, thanks for the post. Very happy you found time to save those WWll relics. Superb write up and pics conjure the imagination of the soldiers who went to fight. Possibly returned to port having seen action wearing the items in your display. Chilling in a good way for me. My father survived his wounds after his Liberator was shot down over Italy. My grandfather served on USS Idaho and was welterweight fleet boxing champion. I have a photograph of the referee raising his arm in victory while sailors surround the ring aboard ship. It is WWll relic hunting that attracted me to metal detecting this past winter. I can only hope to put a coil over such targets as you have recovered. Job well done!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

You're making some great finds there! 

That silver officers hat pin came out great.  I like that Utah tag too, any idea what it was used for?

I spent a fair amount of time trying to look up the Utah tag. I was unable to find one like it so your guess is as good as mine. I figured it was worn with their dog tags as it's about the same size. 

phrunt- I have a tumbler that I put all non valuable finds. I got it originally to clean up all the clad I find. 

Thanks Fellas  strick

• Like 1

I like the Utah tag. I find it interesting that it has the Beehive which was the state symbol and a Seagull which is the state bird but other than that it is very plain with only the embellishments on the corners. Maybe it is home made rather than mass produced? I tried to research this tag but so far failed miserably.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goldbrick said:

I find it interesting that it has the Beehive which was the state symbol and a Seagull which is the state bird

Those alone really narrow down the possibilities.  I was wondering about other WWII Utahs, such as the battleship sunk at Pearl Harbor and the beach at Normandy (D-Day Invasion).

2 hours ago, goldbrick said:

Maybe it is home made rather than mass produced?

Another important observation.  The quality of the craftmanship tends to indicate a low grade.  The GI's often had a lot of time on their hands, whether during training or awaiting battle.  And recall that many servicemen/servicewomen even during WWII were not on the front lines but rather supporting those who were.  Memories of home were often among the free time distractions.

Bottom line, goldbrick, is that I think you are on the right track.

• Like 1

Killer relics