Diving Counterweight For TDI Beachhunter

10 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I have an original prototype I built at Whites, it's a little different than what finally got released years later. I haven't thought about selling it but might consider it.

Gee, that's interesting, what makes your detector different than the one they did release for sale?  I have seen people swapping out the battery for a 14.8 volt battery and maybe that's a good idea? Not sure? I would think it would overload the circuitry. Shorten the life of the circuitry.

The TDI Beachhunter uses the TDI SL board which I designed to take 20V, even more if you swap out a few caps. My prototype has fewer controls, I don't remember exactly and I'll need to dig it out to see.

So, you are saying that you designed the TDI Beachhunter?  That's awesome.  Anyway, I just bought one on eBay - in great shape - so I will take your advice and not get the control box wet.   I have seen people swap out the standard battery for a 14.8v pack, and that seems to make a difference in the detection ability of the unit.  Thanks.  If you have any other advice I am grateful for it.

I designed the TDI-SL and deliberately made the PCB to fit either the metal case or the Beachhunter case. I had the factory build 3 prototypes, they tested fine but mgmt wasn't interested. A few years after I left they finally released it.

There are some mods that people have done to the SL which slightly improve it for nugget hunting. I doubt the BH would benefit as much. The bigger battery is probably the best upgrade.

• Like 1

Yes, the TDI Beachhunter will leak on you…..consider it for all conditions except submersion. My view on this model is it has a good brain but bad body……bit like my first girlfriend. 😜

I used a rubber discus that I zip tied to the coil…made for a good coil weight. In the end, the coil size in the water and it’s tendency to like to drink (bit like my second girlfriend) was just too much so I moved it on and got more than I paid for it 👍

Running the 14.4v Lithium battery improved overall depth by about 15%…..my records show it as the deepest seeking beach detector that I have used. Extra voltage does generate more heat on the board so bear that in mind.

Tony

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Yes, the TDI Beachhunter will leak on you…..consider it for all conditions except submersion. My view on this model is it has a good brain but bad body……bit like my first girlfriend. 😜

I used a rubber discus that I zip tied to the coil…made for a good coil weight. In the end, the coil size in the water and it’s tendency to like to drink (bit like my second girlfriend) was just too much so I moved it on and got more than I paid for it 👍

Running the 14.4v Lithium battery improved overall depth by about 15%…..my records show it as the deepest seeking beach detector that I have used. Extra voltage does generate more heat on the board so bear that in mind.

Tony

Acknowledged on the overvoltage results, don't really want to heat up the board because it's shortens the life of the circuitry. I have to have it this coming week, and I'm looking forward to going through every Beach I have already been on with the Garrett Sea Hunter, and with the Minelab Equinox 800 - which I have little used for because I cannot park to detect since it is illegal and there is no real history here that would warrant going to look for silver in cornfields.  

The last thing if want to ask you is about the TDI PRO AUSSIE, A/K/A, Oz.  I have seen it available on rare occasion * about as often as you find diamonds in your bathtub.  Any comments ? Thanks again for all your comments.

5 minutes ago, Geotech said:

The TDI-Pro-Oz is identical to the TDI-Pro except it has a normal mono coil instead of a dual field coil. The DF coil has some lift-off issues on severe ground.

Good to know, because the TDI PRO Is also on my radar to buy - when I can find one.  

I am very sad that Garrett has not done anything with the Whites metal detector technology. I was hoping they would start making some of the detectors Whites used to make.  Do you think they'll ever make anything that Whites used to manufacture?

The only detectors that White's made that are worth continuing are the MXT-based designs (GM-24k, MX-Sport, MX5, etc), the TRX pinpointer, and the TM808. Garrett is making the GM-24k and I expect they will not make any other MX models. I think they will never make the TRX because it adds nothing to their already-dominant position. The TM808 would be a good addition, maybe they'll eventually add that one. Otherwise, I'm at a loss as to why Garrett bought them in the first place.