Sign in to follow this  
Aureous

Kid’s These Days!

Editors Note: Split from Vanquish Thread

On 6/5/2019 at 7:39 AM, Reg Wilson said:

Just like Harley Davidson, Minelab are finding it hard to appeal to a younger market, and their latest offering is still targeting the older consumer judging by the video add. Not all that smart considering that the old farts are falling off the perch or losing interest. How to appeal to youth will be a problem as the youngsters of today are not really into such pastimes.

Very true Reg, very few 'young'uns' are having a go....but a certain TV show is helping to a small degree I suspect. But from what Ive seen, the current 'instant gratification' generation doesnt have the patience or fortitude to spend time in the bush for more than half an hour...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

Just like Harley Davidson, Minelab are finding it hard to appeal to a younger market, and their latest offering is still targeting the older consumer judging by the video add. Not all that smart considering that the old farts are falling off the perch or losing interest. How to appeal to youth will be a problem as the youngsters of today are not really into such pastimes.

I think you're probably right there, I get a huge amount of grief from people I know about my choice of hobby, everyone thinks It's weird and I'm wasting my time.  They don't understand how I could possibly enjoy it.   I'm comfortable with that, the more people do it the less chance I have of finding anything.  It's not good for the manufacturers though.

Aussie Gold Hunters has helped make people more aware of the hobby, instead of asking "what are you doing?" every time someone sees me the new question is now "found anything?" 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

How to appeal to youth will be a problem as the youngsters of today are not really into such pastimes.

That is the truth right there. I had four sons & while they showed interest in detecting back in my early days when I was coin & jewellery shooting on beaches, parks etc, none of them have taken to it. Or gold detecting. Only one has shown a true interest in the outdoors, which I find odd as I took them all out fishing hiking & camping often, & he is passionate about deer hunting. Lately it has been bow hunting. Which I find a bit cruel as it wouldn't be a quick death. He likes the fact that you need to be a lot more stealth & it gives the deer a bit more of a chance over a rifle. That makes it a lot more challenging & more rewarding when you get one. So his strike rate has dropped. Yep, the youth of today are into different things. A lot of those aren't for the best either.:rolleyes:

Good luck out there

JW 🤠  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

That is the truth right there. I had four sons & while they showed interest in detecting back in my early days when I was coin & jewellery shooting on beaches, parks etc, none of them have taken to it. Or gold detecting. Only one has shown a true interest in the outdoors, which I find odd as I took them all out fishing hiking & camping often

That's the opposite to me, my Dad never took me camping or hiking, and had no interest in the outdoors and now I'm wanting to get involved in that stuff 🙂 As I'm finding out now being a relatively new Dad, kids always want to do the opposite of what you want them to do :biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

That's the opposite to me, my Dad never took me camping or hiking, and had no interest in the outdoors and now I'm wanting to get involved in that stuff 🙂 As I'm finding out now being a relatively new Dad, kids always want to do the opposite of what you want them to do :biggrin:

Same here. Dad did not camp, like any sports, fish, hike, swim, sled, ride a bike, show any interest in collecting coins, stamps, walk in the woods, etc... Maybe THAT is what made me like to be active LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't think these gold hunting shows would have much of a youth following, as they mostly involve big money investments to chase a commodity that is becoming increasingly elusive.

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, younger people are interested, they just don't hang out on Facebook or forums much, especially today. Forums especially seem to be retaining mostly older crowds. And Reg is right, most of the TV is consumed by 40 and over crowds these days. Youtube and even more so now, Instagram are where the younger crowd is. Even places like Reddit are getting younger by the month.

Point of reference - when I bought my first gold detector in 2006 I think I was the youngest fairly consistent poster on the forums. 13 years later, I still feel as if that might be true and I'm 40 now. I've never in my life met a serious gold detectorist younger than me in the field in all that time. I never even met anyone within a decade of me until maybe 2014/5 or so. I've met Dave, Chris, Boulderdash and Lunk who I think are all in my general age range, but that's about it, in my entire career, and I lived full time for over 5 years in the field living (meagerly) off gold prospecting.

Conversely, I have 35,000 subs on a Youtube channel (I have a prospecting related channel), so there is definitely interest from younger people. That is about the global subscriber base of ICMJ for comparison. Looking at demographics the majority are in the 25 to 45 range, though that number is slowly creeping up as I get older. I get young people telling me all the time they dream of doing something like this but can't afford it.

In 1995 I bought my first coin detector at garage sale and my friends refused to be seen in public with me so I tossed it after a year of messing around. In 2003 or whatever year the Ace 250 came out I bought one and my college girlfriend was horrified anytime I'd use it around her in public. Last week I was getting my hair cut by a girl in her early 20's who was proud to tell me she owned and used a Ace 250. A few days ago in the park I saw some kids in their 20's drinking some brown bagged beers and taking turns on some no name detector. I had a kid come up to me at a grocery store in Arizona and say he liked my vids and really wished he could afford a gold detector but that he got a Bounty Hunter for coins. Things have changed in the coin/relic world, it's not nearly as uncool as it used to be.

Coins/relics are everywhere. There isn't a detectable nugget within 1,000 miles of a lot of the US/Canada population though. Even if there were, the serious guys on Youtube are all using at least 4500's if not GPZ's now. People see that, want to use the same thing, feel hopelessly behind if they can't, and then see they are in for a $2500 ride or whatever a 4500 costs now and give up. A retiree can just buy a GPZ on a whim. That's why there is such an age discrepancy. Even at 40 I've had to pay for my 4500 and my 2 GPZ's via business loans, otherwise I'd still be detecting for coins. That arbitrary pricing in the detector world is offensively overinflated IMO, it's almost single handedly make me swear off any kind of collaboration with detector companies. And that's a big reason why few to no younger people join electronic prospecting while the coin/relic world is experiencing a boom probably not seen for decades.

This Vanquish seems like it might be trying to address this general issue. But if it's what it sounds like, it may succeed in the coin/relic world, but it won't find anything but mediocre success in the gold world, for reasons I went over in the Garrett thread. No serious prospectors are going to be using this all day in most their videos. And Minelab doesn't seem to care about connecting with the prospecting related content creators anyways.

• Like 6

When younger people see and hear about the hobby , those that can get into it . Those that cant wait till they can . If ? 

I think that why there are so many older people in the hobby , we're all old youngsters .

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2019 at 7:54 AM, phrunt said:

My father did nothing with me in regards to the great outdoors & all it has to offer either. That might have something to do with the fact that he & mum where in their mid 40's when they adopted me at the age of two & a half years old. They both smoked, dad until the day he passed away at 74. Guess that might be why I so love all things outdoors as I never had it as a kid. And I do love it. Guess that is why I became a builder too. I could not work in an office environment or in doors. I need the open spaces & the sky above me. Be it working or "playing."

20181122_161537

20181121_095459

Pot of gold at the ends of the rainbow

20181002_162334

Ok. One more

20161225_123355-2

And there's gold out there

Old Dunstan Rd 8

Cheers

JW 🤠

• Like 6

I agree i have yet to find someone who is as interested in gold prospecting and treasure hunting who is younger then me.  Im 29 and have been prospecting now since i was 24.  Anyone i have met who prospects or detects regularly has generally been at least 10 years older then me.  

I grew up camping, building forts in the woods, playing paint ball, riding dirt bike and most other out door activities.  My parents both taught me lots in that regard, and while my father was never into prospecting or detecting, his father was a very active detectorist and use to detect with him on the beach and after the local county fair.  My uncle was geologist and collected minerals and fossils, and is part of the reason i went into geology, and ive always had a love for rocks.  So once i found out there was gold in VA, both prospecting and detecting came easy as a somewhat new passion.  

As for getting the my generation and the younger generations into prospecting and detecting, im not sure what the best way is, as i seem to be an anomaly, and more old school then most people in my generation.  

Some say these types of things skip a generation which i can see as my grandfather detected but my dad doesnt have an interest in it.

But many of these types of hobbies are hurting.  My father is private pilot as a hobby and builds his own airplanes and flies constantly and aviation also has a severe lack of younger people.   Hunting is also experiencing this problem, so its not just a problem in our hobby but many outdoor hobbies.  

Maybe something a detecting company could do to get younger people interested is make Virtual reality treasure hunting/ detecting game.  lol   

Steve - 

thought you might enjoy some J-3 cub pictures, since i think i remember you saying you have your pilots license.  First two are of my dads 1941 J-3 cub on tundra tires that he rebuilt many years ago, and the third is of a pseudo carbon super cub, which is also now on tundra tires.  He eventually plans to fly the super cub all the way to Alaska.  

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_03718.JPG

• Like 3