Golden Age Of Metal Detecting?

Inspired by the recent thread:

I've thought up the following question.  This is (obviously) a hypothetical/ficticious situation but I think the replies might answer the question in this topic title.  Suppose a Genie shows up providing you with the following opportunity.  You will be transported back in time for a 10 year period, starting time is your choice.  Once the 10 years are over you return to June, 2019 as if you never left.  Once transported you will not have any knowledge/memory of the future ('future' defined as anything after the date of your arrival) but will have a passion for treasure hunting.  You will be 30 years old, single, with a college degree in science education and a high school teaching job (and salary) consistent with that degree.  You get three months per year off (you get to choose the months).  You will be provided with a 4WD camper, an initial $3000 (important, January 2019 dollars!, to account for inflation) or the equivalent in the country of your chosen location.  The purpose of this money is to buy a metal detector (that existed at that time -- no taking a modern detector back with you!) and other appropriate recovery equipment and materials.  In addition, each succeeding year for 9 years you will get an addition $1000 (2019 equivalent).  To drive home this $3000, 2019 equivalent, here are some actual year amounts for the initial stipend:  1951--$300.  1956--$317.  1961--$352.  1966--$376.  1971--$470.  1976--$657.  1981--$1028.  1986--$1294.  1991--$1590.  1996--$1824.  2001--$2086.  2006--$2342.  2011--$2601.  2016--$2798.

You can answer for either coin/jewelry/relic/beach/cache detecting or electronic prospecting.  That is, your 'passion' can be in one or the other.

When, Where, Why?

Time travel?.....3K in my pocket.....take me back to 2008 just before the crash.

I'd spend 40 bucks on a used tracker IV and buy stock with the rest on the day after the market crash.  

HH
Mike

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Hillis said:

Time travel?.....3K in my pocket.....take me back to 2008 just before the crash.

I'd spend 40 bucks on a used tracker IV and buy stock with the rest on the day after the market crash.  

HH
Mike

Shoot... you beat me to the stock market.  Do good in that and I could be prospecting full time.

Each succeeding year you get another $1k, so 1994 with whatever the best used VLF gets for $350 back then, live off Ramen and pay for it with VLF finds until (unknowingly to you at that point since you have no future knowledge) the SD comes out in 1995, and hope you are smart enough to take that gamble ?

I dunno though, what good vlf was out in 1980? Gold was like 1200/oz back then and there was a ton of surface gold sitting around to find in what seems to me to be some pretty obvious places even without any knowledge of the future. 

I'd go with 1978, NNV, best vlf I could afford, and a cheap used dozer. Very few BLM regs on dozing back then too. I like to think I'd figure out a way to sell to mining companies again like I have now, and could outperform the stock market in the end, maybe not.

No point in me going back. Picked all the winners already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Been there , done that. When I started detecting in the early 60s all coins (except  1 & 5 cents) were silver, but it was only worth face value. Finding $15. A day in city parks was a good haul tho. No disc., lots of bottle caps, gum wrappers &cig. foil.  If I could go back, I would go to the early eighties *& detect for gold again with the Ground Hog.

I had a chance to go with a semi successful gold prospecting family on a trip to Western Australia back in 1981 and had to decline because of school commitments. They went anyway, hit a huge patch and bought a car dealership with the proceeds (still running today) and made million$. If I went back, I'd drop out of school and stay in WA until I'd filled a bucket of gold lol

If gold detecting the 80's was a serious for real gold rush, with gold prices higher than today in equivalent dollars. And a decent VLF was all you needed since stuff was essentially virgin.

My old business was launched on the back of that gold rush.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

If gold detecting the 80's was a serious for real gold rush, with gold prices higher than today in equivalent dollars. And a decent VLF was all you needed since stuff was essentially virgin.

My old business was launched on the back of that gold rush.

The family in question was using nuthin but Fisher 440's. 1st trip got them about 20oz....2nd was maybe 200oz. Nuthin smaller than 2-3 grammers though.....them was the days....

• Like 2