Any X35 Coil Users For The Orx Out There?

HF elliptical is 11.6 ounces

HF 9" round is 12.3 ounces

X35 9" is 13 ounces

X35 11" is 16.1 ounces

X35 13 x11" is 21 ounces

With the heavier Deus telescoping metal stem the heavier weight of the X35 11" is not very noticeable. With the lighter plastic stem assembly of the Orx the X35 11" felt really unbalanced and  nose heavy to me. The X35 9" would probably feel the same as the HF round.

Jeff

• Like 1

I should have a near new used 11” X35 coil in the near future. Got my xp orx yesterday - really looking forward to trying it out and really getting into it over the next week. 

Holding off on that 11” X35 coil for now. Not sure if there’s enough to be gained  over the

9” hf coil, especially since I hunt mainly for relics.   If I decide I want an X35 I might favor 

a 9” instead of 11”" for weight mainly.  

There was a post here on the Orx being blind to round objects like musket balls but can't find the link. I would try upping the frequency as that would give more sensitivity in the lower range. 

As you go up in coil size you lose sensitivity to smaller objects. There probably isn't a whole lot of difference in depth between a 9" and 11" coil. From my experience I have only gained a couple inches or so 20-30% depending on ground conditions on my Tejons coils 9" elliptical and 10x12 widescan. And only real noticeable depth jump is when you hit monster sized coils that can hit 16-17" on the AT Pro with more downsides than positives as the larger coils become not only too heavy and cumbersome. They become less and less sensitive to small targets and often difficult if not impossible to ground balance in some locations. The best I have done with the monster coil is a seated and barber dimes in the 15" range.

I would think that frequency would be a better test. Lower frequencies give you more depth but lower conductors may mask items. The Tejon I favor and use the most runs at 17khz. Maybe try that as a starting point.

• 6 months later...
On 7/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, kac said:

There was a post here on the Orx being blind to round objects like musket balls but can't find the link. I would try upping the frequency as that would give more sensitivity in the lower range. 

BTW as a followup just wanted to debunk the ORX blind to musket ball theory.  Got a few as well as plenty of minies on some recent hunts and my posts elsewhere have the pics.  BTW, relative to the OP, all my finds were recovered using the 9" round HF not an X35 coil, though I do own an X35 11" coil.

The musket ball blindness could have been a bad user setting or maybe early firmware? Always wondered how a machine could miss something like that, seemed unlikely.

• 6 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Ridge Runner said:

DeltaDigger

It wasn’t a true test for depth being most was just covered but some between 5 & 6 inches. The lineup next to the quarters the one that has a stone has a small metal loop and the ORX hit it about 4 inches solid. I was running in coin fast and no headphones. I know from past experience it’s best to always use your headphones but nowadays you just don’t know who will walk up on you.

The Best  

Chuck

This has been over a year ago and the whole "don't know who will walk up on you" part means more now than it did last year! Lots of hoodlums and hateful people out there today for sure. Be careful, people are getting hard up and robbing who they can.