Equinox Charger Gave Up The Ghost

How many of you have had problems with the charger cable? I’ve had the 800 for 14 months now and both of my charger cables have died.  Have any of you had this happened to you and were they replaced under warranty? Thanks 

Oscar 

What do they do when they die?

Same here, no issues as long as you keep the contacts clean of magnetic debris.  I recall there was an issue early on with the molded magnetic connector housing separating, but I think that was a manufacturing issue lured to a specific production run of cables. Still, the magnetic connector is designed to easily lift off from the detector charge port in one specific direction.  Otherwise, if you are constantly fighting against the magnet to pull it off the detector’s charge port, I can see where you might be putting enough strain on the connector to have it eventually break.  See this for more info

BTW - it should be covered under warranty.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mn90403 said:

What do they do when they die?

I connect it and the green light starts blinking, a while later it just turns off.  I plugged a new cable I ordered a few weeks ago and charges fine.

Phrunt— I have no pets to damage the cable.  I don’t even bend it back like it came packaged so I have no idea why it stopped working.

I’m going to try the pencil eraser trick as suggested and see if that does anything.

The connector is designed to slide off, so to say. Not be pulled off.

If you are pulling, that could be the cause.

I put my finger on side opposite of wire and push, it comes right off.

Yes , check the contacts, they could be dirty.

If you have an ohmmeter, you can check continuity and confirm it's the cable and not the contacts.

I was typing while you were posting.

Your cable is fine, your contacts are dirty.

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Same here, no issues as long as you keep the contacts clean of magnetic debris.  I recall there was an issue early on with the molded magnetic connector housing separating, but I think that was a manufacturing issue lured to a specific production run of cables. Still, the magnetic connector is designed to easily lift off from the detector charge port in one specific direction.  Otherwise, if you are constantly fighting against the magnet to pull it off the detector’s charge port, I can see where you might be putting enough strain on the connector to have it eventually break.  See this for more info

BTW - it should be covered under warranty.

Thanks for the link Chase.  I saw/read that when that happened.  My cable is like new on the outside so I’m good there.

I just got back from collecting some gold at the beach (6hr+ hunt) so I’m charging the gold vacuum now ? I went ahead and cleaned the contacts like Glabelle suggested so we shall see what happens.  If it doesn’t  charge I’ll just grab my hammer and trouble shoot the problem since I have an electronics background ?

Thanks for all the help/ideas.

• Like 1