Whats Wrong With My GPX 5000

I bought this GPX 5000 second-hand and when I first had it it worked fine, but now when I turn it on it doesn't seem to be able to detect any signals. If I wand it over a large piece of metal it just about detects it and if I turned the unit on and off it seems to improve it. Could it be the coil?
I've made a video :

It's not a Chinese copy is it?

• Like 1

There's a post june 10, 2014 by Reno Chris in minelab metal detectors titled .... if Your GPX Appears Broken, Try This.....where he explains how to do factory reset.

• Like 1

Still reckon it could well be the power cable as i mentioned on FB,wow £42 for a cable thats crazy.

• Like 1

I've just done a factory reset and it's still not working. All I'm getting is the hum from the threshold and if I put it over a large metal object I get a signal but if I put over a coin on the floor it sees nothing.

I'm going to make a little short video to be put out on Saturday morning about my progress to fix it.

I was not able to get out today because we've had heavy rain and I'll probably do a live broadcast tomorrow night.

Hi Cleggy, welcome to the forum.

The first thing I would try is a factory reset then setup using basic settings.  The owner of this forum, Steve Herschbach, has instruction here:

• Like 1

Try a different coil...if the result is the same it is the control box...

I always had a spare power cord...they are a weak link, especially the way some use them.

If it is the coil you can repair it yourself if one of the wires is broke at the connector.

fred

• Like 2

Cleggy

I see your coil wire is very loose, before you take it detecting you should tie the cord so it does not wobble. That will save many false signals.

yes, this has nothing to do with your current issue, just a tip for the future.

did you try a different coil yet.

there is some chance you have multiple problems, I bought a used 5000 that did...having another to compare would be helpful.

good luck 

fred