Whats Wrong With My GPX 5000

Agree with Fred, coil would be the first thing I'd be checking out, double check your coil connections and that all the pins are there too and not loose. See if a dealer or forum member is nearby that will let you borrow one for a moment because that could be a quick fix.

Just out of curiosity you might also try flipping into Mono or Cancel mode on the front switch and see if that changes anything. Mechanical switches could get flipped around (happened on a GMT to me) and you could be in Cancel when you think you are in DD mode. Unlikely, since Cancel would still pick that belt buckle looking thing up, but worth a quick try anyways to see if the other modes work by some chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dang, I forgot about mono/cancel...you will not get much signal except on the big stuff like your BBQ....

As Jasong says check you switches for the proper settings...

as a reminder

a mono coil will work in any mode except cancel

a dd coil can be dd, pseudo-mono and used in cancel

careful reading the manual will help more than my faulty memory...

fred

• Thanks 1

I've had a comment from a Lady in Australia who said:
Just a couple of things You have to have the front cap switched to SPECIAL before you can use coin and relic . We can’t use coin and relic in Oz as it is too mineralised . When I tune it I always put motion , Rx and stabiliser up to highest number . Then while holding coil waist height press auto tune ( this gets rid of heaps of emi ) once you hear the 3 beeps put motion etc back to your lower numbers . Make double sure you have DD coil on it . Also putting into CANCEL mode gets rid of interference but you lose depth . But if you use a mono coil in CANCEL it won’t detect.

And for some strange reason It only seems to want to detect with the coil is in mono mode even though it's a double d coil. When I switch it to double d, it does not detect.

My money is on a bad coil. That is why I switched to Detech coils. More rugged and never had one go. I've lost 3 DD Minelab coils. The problems you are having sound like the ones I had.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:13 AM, Cleggy said:

I've made this video to show you the faults I'm getting.
https://youtu.be/cFmnZhmvYY0

In the  video I talked about a live broadcast and that will be tomorrow night because this video will be going out tomorrow morning.

Your detector is turning on and there is audio so your power cable is fine. It was also detecting the bbq, but not the smaller object so either it is in cancel mode, or something has blown internally. I'd try it in all positions of the Coil switch just to be sure. 

Can you not just return it to the shop and get them to sort it out?

• Like 1