Settings For A Specific Target

Deep1

Been working an old railroad freight yard. It is covered in trash, mainly iron. I cannot find an area clean enough to ground balance, I just run at 0.

I've found a few railroad tags and fell in love with them. The rarest local history I've ever found. I want to find more.

I've dug a few coins from the site, but they are few and far between and come up in very poor condition.

I want to concentrate on the tags.

They are made of brass and range in size from 1X2 to 2X3 inches and are 1/8 thick.

What is the best detect mode to use for these conditions?

Any recommendations on settings?

What depth do they typically turn up and what TID do they ring up as?  What other types of targets are you finding that have similar target IDs.  Mode really isn’t going to be the issue for targets that large, so Park 1 or Field 1 should suffice.?  If you want to focus solely on recovering them, setting up a selective discrimination pattern will be the key.

4 to 6 inches.They ring mid to high 20's.

Instead of discrimination, I use tone volume control. I hunt in 5 tone and mute tone 1 & 2 and turn tone 3 to low volume, I leave tones 4 & 5 on 25.

Seems you really want to hunt for targets in the 3 to 5 even thou you have one turned down.   It can depend on how you set your bins up.   I dont think you could go wrong adjusting your bins a bit then just using a high volume SINGLE tone. .... unless you are passing on some of those targets in your range.  If so go to more of a single digit  disc.   As shallow as they seem the TID may not change much making it easier to make a good pattern.  But from what you have set up it seems you are looking for these.......BUT are still wanting to check other targets in a pretty broad range.