Heartfelt Thanks

Lacky

Just wanted to thank you guys. I have learned SO much the last couple weeks from this site! My equinox 800 is arriving Thursday. It will be my first detector since I bought a lobo supertraq about 20 years ago.

• Like 9

Congrats on the new machine -- it's a good one!

Steve

So true. The fact that there is so much to learn and so much adjustability though has motivated me to study it all far more than I did the tesoro. I had some fun adventures with it but I never really mastered it.

• Like 1

Well my 800 came today. Didn't come till after 4, so by the time it was charged and assembled I just played around in the yard some. This is gonna take awhile. I'm going to have to have the manual handy for some time. Fortunately knocking down the sensitivity is kind of a cure all to kill the random chatter. Note I'm not claiming it is the best or correct cure, but it did work. It's gonna take some time to figure out all its saying. Until I got it to calm down some I felt like I was in a room full of r2d2's. It was more overwhelming than I expected, fun though.

There is a street cutout in an old area I was hoping it would get here before it got covered. Now I'm thinking that might be a bit more public than I'm ready for. I think I'm gonna be spending the next few days in my backyard with the manual in one hand and the Nox in the other.

Good times

You didn't say, but I presume that before you reduced sensitivity, you did a noise cancel to try to knock the chatter down first.  If you only have to reduce the sensitivity down a few clicks from the default of 20, then that is not too bad, much more than that then you might have to consider other remedies like making sure your cell phone is not in the vicinity of yhe control head, switching modes or going to single frequency.  But if you are simply trying to learn the machine, I would advise going to a site that has low EMI so you can focus on learning using a single mode (most commonly Park 1 or Beach 1 if learning at the beach) at the default settings so that you can understand the "language" and response of the machine to different target types, including trash.  Once that feels relatively comfortable, then consider minor settings tweaks to see how they affect target response, etc.  Enjoy and post back if you have specific questions.  Use Steve's Essential Information consolidation thread at the top of the Equinox forum to click on specific topics including numerous tips to getting started with Equinox.  Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

You didn't say, but I presume that before you reduced sensitivity, you did a noise cancel to try to knock the chatter down first.  If you only have to reduce the sensitivity down a few clicks from the default of 20, then that is not too bad, much more than that then you might have to consider other remedies like making sure your cell phone is not in the vicinity of yhe control head, switching modes or going to single frequency.  But if you are simply trying to learn the machine, I would advise going to a site that has low EMI so you can focus on learning....

Good advice from Chase, as usual.  One thing I can say about the Eqx 800 in my town -- the EMI is far more noticeable than any other detector I own.  One part of learning the Eqx (long term) is learning to deal with EMI.

For me the noise cancel function has a chance if the chatter isn't bad.  If that chatter is bad then I have to go to other measures, such as turning down the gain (sensitivity) and/or lowering the recovery speed.  It's been mentioned that sometimes just changing modes helps.  Another thing to remember (Steve H. has emphasized this many times) is that EMI varies considerably in space and time.  For example, one of my parks has a lot of EMI.  I've had to to run single frequency on quite a few occasions there (which still makes the detector usable but of course we buy an Eqx to be able to run multifrequency).  A couple days ago I was there running in Field 2 and even at gain 20 (I think recovery 5 or 6) it was quiet.  I walked (swinging) about 50 m west and started getting considerable EMI.  Headed back the other direction and quiet again.  That's the spatial variation.  Other times you find that certain times of the day are bad and other times quiet.

• Like 2

Yeah I did noise cancel, but had to look up how to do it. I've read almost every thread in the essentials thread. I've watched dozens of videos. I read Andy's book. The problem was as soon as I turned it on I couldn't remember any of it hardly.

Really I think it was just a bit of performance anxiety type stuff. I just need to get out and practice. LOTS different than that tasoro lol.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Congrats on your purchase.  Humdinger of a machine.  It will talk to you.  Look forward to your feedback.

3 hours ago, Lacky said:

Yeah I did noise cancel, but had to look up how to do it. I've read almost every thread in the essentials thread. I've watched dozens of videos. I read Andy's book. The problem was as soon as I turned it on I couldn't remember any of it hardly.

Really I think it was just a bit of performance anxiety type stuff. I just need to get out and practice. LOTS different than that tasoro lol.

Spend a couple hours on the back porch with the sensitivity turned down and practice all the basic moves.  i still get confused exiting out of some settings.