Heartfelt Thanks

Lacky

7 minutes ago, NAGANT said:

Spend a couple hours on the back porch with the sensitivity turned down and practice all the basic moves.  i still get confused exiting out of some settings.

Yeah been playing today and its getting better. I think a lot of my chatter problem may actually be targets.  I started digging some today and there is LOTS of aluminium in my yard. Looks like my house had aluminium siding at one point, cause there are pieces of it all over. If you go over 5 to a dozen pieces of aluminium with every swing it sounds pretty unstable, but I'm pretty sure it's just actual targets.

• Like 1

EMI will manifest as chatter with the coil in the air, if you don't hear anything then no need to lower sensitivity.  As far as ground targets are concerned, the machine gun chatter due to targets you are experiencing is due to the super fast recovery speed you will have to get used to.  Good luck.

Yeah the noise cancel takes care of the air chatter, the rest was targets in the ground. LOTS of targets in the ground. If I really had my heart set on searching my yard I would notch out 8-15 to maintain sanity. Or at least quiet down that zone. I can see why you guys talk about can slaw so much now. I'm sure not going to dig all that up!

2 hours ago, Lacky said:

Yeah the noise cancel takes care of the air chatter, the rest was targets in the ground. LOTS of targets in the ground. If I really had my heart set on searching my yard I would notch out 8-15 to maintain sanity. Or at least quiet down that zone. I can see why you guys talk about can slaw so much now. I'm sure not going to dig all that up!

LOL - I hear ya, but that also is one of nature's cruel jokes on detectectorists - 8 - 15 is where the best gold jewelry also resides.  OOF.

10 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

LOL - I hear ya, but that also is one of nature's cruel jokes on detectectorists - 8 - 15 is where the best gold jewelry also resides.  OOF.

Yeah, my plan is actually to target that range. I'm hoping my resolve will hold up. It sure didn't in my yard!

(It isn't one of my proposed hot spots either though)

• Like 1

Went on my first actual hunt today (well, I guess yesterday, I stay up late!). I feel like I set it up well, a cutout for putting in a playground in the old part of town with about 2 feet of soil stripped off. The part I miss judged was how hard the soil was. It was like digging concrete.  I would have needed a 10 pound pickaxe to get through it. I'd get targets at 6 inches and couldn't get 2 inches after 5 min. I dug some old shell casings (old military base 120 to 70 years ago) so I think the theory was ok at least. I ended up just looking for silver coin signals figuring if I was going to kill myself digging that stuff it would be worth it, even though I would have trashed them. I got a fair number of signals but none very repeatable.  I'd get a 30's amongst other signals, then nothing, then 3 or 4 swings later over it I'd get another. Never could recover any of them. 

So my question is where those even real or should they be pretty repeatable if real? My turn up hands did motivate  me to call the state park everyone swims at to ask if they allow metal detecting and got a solid yes on weekdays. Easy digging in sand is in my future!

Park 1 and the sensitivity down at 17, I think because of power lines close by. Everything else factory.

Lacky,  sounds to me like you might do well to find someplace where there is not a high level of emi and junk targets. Maybe a wooded area?  

I would stay away from high trash areas in the beginning if possible.  

I spend most of my time in the woods which by me had occupation since colonial times, but rarely am I in an area of high trash- though   there are occasional areas of  high iron concentration. Most of the time my equinox runs quiet, at least until I go above 22 sensitivity. Another idea would be a field  

Don’t let frustration get to you, with every target you dig you are building a mental database that will help you in subsequent targets  

Good luck with your new Equinox and keep posting your results  

Thanks, I appreciate the advise. One idea I have is looking at old maps I figured out which dirt forest service roads are the old stage routes, which have been around since the 40's, etc. Would detecting likely resting or camping spots along those roads be the kind of spot your talking about. Does it sound like a decent idea? I don't have detecting friends to bounce ideas off so you guys get to hear my ramblings.