The Sheer Genius Of The XP DEUS

I ran my own company for 35 years and because of this I am sensitized to marketing and sales. I love a good idea when I see one.

XP Metal Detectors makes several models of detectors, but the name has become almost synonymous with one model, the XP DEUS. This detector is a marketing dream come true.

When you buy a DEUS, you think you are buying a metal detector with a wireless coil. The coil has a control that is similar to many detector pods just smaller, but can also be controlled via the headsets, though the functions are a bit more limited. There are also accessory coils available.

Except not really. Each DEUS coil runs around $500 and is actually a metal detector. XP divorced the detector from the control pod but they did more than make a wireless coil. The coil is actually a metal detector less rod and control interface.

This means two things. First, XP can come out with new controllers. They could introduce a color display controller if they wished that would work with the existing "coils".

But the real brilliance is in selling you $500 metal detectors without you even realizing it. XP can design a whole line of new "coils" but they can pretty much do almost anything. They can run different frequencies or even multiple frequencies. The could be a PI coil. As long as the existing controller software, which is upgradeable, can interface with a new detector/coil the sky's the limit.

Most manufacturers would love to sell you three or four $500 metal detectors. The genius of XP is in getting people to buy $500 detectors and you don't even get the rod or control box! You have to pay extra to get those.

Makes me wonder if we will see a detector eventually that runs as a phone app. I suspect it will happen, but there needs to be a better wireless connection first as I think the current phone Bluetooth versions may not be up to the task enough for many of us. But then again it may very well be good enough for entry level people. The day is coming I am sure.

post-1-0-14602200-1433440156_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-68751100-1433440160_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Took the plunge and got a Deus, arrived a couple of days ago. Current version 3.2, the next version 4 should be here later in year or early 16 apparently. It will add features to current Deus, but if you buy the new coil that comes with 4 (new detector) you get more features.( ? don`t know) I live on edge of old mining ghost town, been flogged for 30 plus years by every man and his dog. Wandered over site, extremely trashy for couple of hours, Deus scored a 1906 British Penny. Surrounded by metal trash, possibly the Deus`s superior reactivity made this score or just fortunate, time will tell. The concept is mainly why I purchased it, plus that notch GB, and the 4 pinpoint modes, 3 non motions can be searched in, etc etc all good marketing stuff that got me in. Could not get a clear yes or no from the net. Some swear by it others curse it but tis like a feather after the GPZ. But certainly has me refired on coins.

As my son has a CTX we have a duel in a few weeks when he comes up.

If the Deus is a winner I`ll grab the 4 coil and update, use an old stem have hanging around and presto I`ll have 2 deus`s another tick for their marketing

The DEUS is an excellent detector (or detectors) and certainly up to the task. I will be surprised if you do not do well with it if you give it the chance.

I actually bought one of the ridiculously overpriced rod assemblies myself. Not sure exactly yet what I am going to do with it though!

Its those gold half sovereigns, that`ll test it, there is got to be more on this site. They come in at 70-71 (in air) ID a lead roofing washer comes in around the 72-74 ID(in air) and there are zillions on the site, just a matter of patience amongst the trash and to learn how to utilise the Deus`s features, those tones might be the key. Regardless a challenge and good fun.

Yeah my impression of the rod assembly is it seems a wee weak, but if made of super strong plastic shouldn`t be a drama, that may be why its price is so ridiculous.

For the past year I've been sitting on the fence researching the Deus and trying to decide whether to get one.  Finally ordered one yesterday from a dealer when he informed me that Deus had announced another price drop just a few days ago. Now I need to get up to speed with it before my two week trip to Colchester this coming October.  The person leading our Team to Colchester is a Deus Dealer(the same person who just sold me my new one) so I should be able to pick up some good operating tips while I'm there.  As a backup I'll also be taking my trusty MXT.  

Steve,

I think the 2nd week on Louisiana Sal's Team still has openings.  You're welcome to join the fun.  As a "Newbie" I'm not quite sure what to expect but Celtic Gold sounds good.  Better yet, how about another gold Viking ring like the one somebody found this past year??

• Like 1

It's a great little detector for sure. Initially I was frustrated with the lack of ability to make accurate ID's on targets. And was thinking about selling her but have since changed my mind.  She will lie to you when you first start dating her.  But it does not take long to understand her ways and then you will get along fine with her. Accurate pin pointing. Good depth. Good iron disc (small iron) Really good on small round objects... buttons... coins.  Just dig anything that hits well and see what it is. The CTX will give you more reasons not to dig. I have both.  Had a fun little hunt with Deathray last weekend and left the CTX in the truck.

strick

• Like 1

Some of the after market coils for ML P.I.s are very spendy and all you get is a coil not another detector.