Sign in to follow this  
WesM

What Would You Do?

Say I'm trout fishing today and find a 4" quartz seam loaded with visible gold (Googly 'gold in quartz and it's as good as anything on page 1). But, the land is already claimed by an armchair 'miner' that actually just uses it as loooong term camping/fishing/hunting space without campground antics and charges plus it's close to a deer layover area. Say I know this for sure since I met his grandkids and son years ago during hunting season and taught them how to snipe for gold on that very stream since the 'miner' was oblivious as to how.

What would you do;

Tell him?

Wait for him to lapse his claim into abandonment or die?

Weep!

Since he has little interest in mining try and get a lease on the property to do whatever it is that is in your head. That is a 100% negotiable thing. Assuming it is gold it could really be something or it could just be a few ounces of specimens hacked out of solid rock before it peters out. Be aware that quartz veins in the water can look a lot like they have gold in them... until a piece is in hand and it turns out to be discolored quartz or  calcite.

• Like 2

Wes, I would contact the claim owner and get permission to prospect the claim.  Before you upfront any money, as Steve said, verify it is what you think it is.  I hope it is :)

Brian.

On 6/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Since he has little interest in mining try and get a lease on the property to do whatever it is that is in your head. That is a 100% negotiable thing. Assuming it is gold it could really be something or it could just be a few ounces of specimens hacked out of solid rock before it peters out. Be aware that quartz veins in the water can look a lot like they have gold in them... until a piece is in hand and it turns out to be discolored quartz or  calcite.

Petering out is my concern so I contacted a geologist friend and ran the scenario and pics past him. He's pretty sure the lode extends beyond the claim boundary and substantial portion is below the roadway when the road was blasted into the canyon wall.   Yep, it's a stones throw from a well used road, lol. Problem, it's good 60-70 degrees slope below. I looked today for pieces but all I got was 200' down, 5 ticks, sore knee and rope burn. Plus, it could be buried under 2000 tns of blasted off mtn.

Another problem, it's so close to the roadway horizontally and being above (except for any blasted off and below someplace) the possibility of mining dumpage on the roadway below is high.

Being gold? 100,000% sure. I spent 8 years underwater with 6, 8 and then 10" nozzles dredging, it's gold for sure. Malleable, shiney grade kind. Funny thing is , none of this seam is in the water or near it. It's all just past and above. The pc I found was dusted from the impact of the fall from above and that's how I knew where to look.

Next step. Posting and professional survey of all unclaimed land I think. 

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Tnsharpshooter
      https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=3118425#post3118425
    • By phrunt
      I was looking around the new Minelab website and I noticed they now say the Equinox is single frequency on Gold Modes, is this some sort of error or are new Equinox 800's coming without multi-IQ on their gold modes?  I found nothing wrong with MultiIQ Gold modes so I don't see why they'd change it.
      https://www.minelab.com/metal-detectors/equinox-800
      Detect Modes
      Equally adaptable for all target types and ground conditions:
      Park Field Beach Gold: Gold Mode operates the high single frequencies of either 20 kHz or 40 kHz to detect gold nuggets in mineralised soils.  

• By dan_h
      Used Cherry Pick settings from the Handbook for  a brief session in a local park.  Found a penny, the handle of a spoon.  If it ever was silver plated, that is long gone.  Then found a quarter-sized disk, a token of some sort.  It says "Where a kid can be a kid" on both sides and one side was stamped OTTS.ORG.  I  just tried that website and it is apparently closed.  There was a message to the effect to leave your contact info if you have any business with this site.

Question:  is there something more than the Lesche Predator but less than a shovel -- a mini shovel, perhaps?
    • By phrunt
      What are peoples thoughts on Ferrite Choke's/Core Filters on coil cables?
      I noticed that with my QED detector a Ferrite Filter came with it to clip onto my coil right up the end where it plugs into the control box.  As I have a few coils I clipped one on each of them as I had a few of them laying around, I was a couple short so I'll have to buy some more to do every coil. 
      Seeing the QED uses them I was wondering why other detectors don't so I googled images of coils, Well it turns out they do...

Above is a picture of a CTX 3030 coil, note at the end where the cable plugs into the detector is the Ferrite.
      And then the GPZ 7000 also has one, but Minelab did it the better way by putting it on the wires inside the control box.  This method would work better as the wires there aren't already shielded so the ferrite can work its magic better.

Above is the Wiring Loom, C-Box Coil Connector for the GPZ.   This is the perfect method in my opinion, the wires loop around the ferrite to give the best results and there is a shield wire going down onto the connector.  This could possibly be a method the QED could use in future upgrades to give the best results as putting it over an already shielded wire would limit its effectiveness I would think.
      The filters probably do a better job at helping prevent EMI out of the detector than coming into it, but it would be interesting to know peoples thoughts on them.
      I'm going to order a few more clip on ones to put on my coils I use on the QED anyway as it must need them, these are the ones I'll get, simple clip ons...  5 for $2 🙂

• By Meikle
      My detector has been having some problems lately. I have a teknetics liberator. The other night it was chirping periodically. In the morning it wouldn’t turn on. So I checked the connecting points and put a fresh battery in and the power button still didn’t work. When I put the battery in it would turn on automatically but then would turn off after a short time.
      Has anyone ever had experiences fixing this?
    • By phrunt
      I'm chasing some advice.  I've not been much of a beach hunter but do it occasionally, I started with a terrible little plastic scoop and quickly upgraded to a galvanized metal scoop as the plastic one felt like it would break every time I dug a hole in compacted sand.   The Galvanized one wasn't too bad, quick and easy to dig with.
      I quickly got sick of getting on my knees to dig every hole when I encountered a beach with lots of bottle tops so I've just bought myself a stainless steel scoop that has the option of adding a long handle to. 

So I went down to the hardware store and purchased a hardwood handle for it, the problem now is, how long to I make my handle, this handle seems way too long as it goes up to my neck, I guess it's for a broom.
      What length is a good length for a sand scoop? I hope to use it in the water on a beach I did very well on in the sand.
      I'm 5'11" tall if that helps.
      Thanks for any advice.