Ah Phrunt you are a lost cause as we all are, good on you, I look forward to your QED posts. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Great stuff Simon.

Mate, dont ‘pump’ when ground balancing.

821CAA7D-8BEB-4A7E-8870-EE9859F58B82.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Al, I was doing the pumping to see if it needed balanced, when it needs balanced it makes a noise going to or away from the ground.  I haven't been able to do an Auto Ground Balance yet to test that as it's already balanced when I turn it on on default settings.   I guess I could throw it way out of balance and try it.  It seems here in the soil I tried it's balanced anywhere between 65 and 110, outside of that it starts making noise, I found having the balance number at 70 was giving me the best depth on tiny targets in my very unscientific testing 🙂

• Like 1

Um, Simon, you havent seen “unscientific” till you’ve watched me! Poor Northeast will get a sample on the weekend!

• Like 1

BTW im wrapped for ya mate. Hope you like the QED. You are not only very thorough with what you do but you communicate well for all us to benefit from.

• Like 6

Nice to hear you got it and are having a good experience Phrunt. 

Hearing that you can run your gain on 10 re-affirms that there may be something amiss with mine.  I am going to test it against AD's QED later this week hopefully and if something seems off we might be able to ship them off together to Howard (AD's needs the newest update I think).  

Funny with mine though that I can hear the tiniest pieces of gold on Gain of 1 or 2 so I can't imagine what 10 is going to do.

Just a comment about this bit and I'm sure Reg or JR might correct me if I'm wrong. 

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

The QED has a default ground balance of 100, I didn't need to do a ground balance, I could raise and lower my coil all I wanted with no noise, Auto ground balance didn't do anything as it was already balanced, I ended up lowering my ground balance to 70 manually and it was still silent pumping my coil so I just left it there, I tried as low as 50 but noise started to come in then so 70 seemed a good spot.

If your Bias (THS B) is at the Null point your GB could actually be well out but the 'ground noise effect' has to push a long way to break through the threshold and make a noise that you hear.  If your chasing smaller pieces and you are setting your THS B around 5 points below Null then you might find your Ground Balance range to be 85 - 100.  At Null you might think your GB range is 70-110 but you are probably just not hearing the ground response.  In your dirt the range will probably be bigger than ours here.  Some places around the GT a few weeks ago allowed a GB range of only 1or 2 points. In other areas it might be a range of 6 or 7 points.  

And this bit.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I was doing the pumping to see if it needed balanced

I think AD was pointing out that the manual says to only listen to, and adjust according to, the downward motion of the coil.  Now, I know the manual says this but I have found the QED to be perfectly balanced when there is no signal up or down.  So, I do a pumping motion of the coil too but it is a slower action than on the Minelab's. 

Will be very interested to hear how you find the SPO1 with the Wirefree unit and the GME speaker - it is a set-up I have entertained getting although I am also happy with my current set-up.  

And the X-Coil on the QED out in the field will be interesting too.  How much self control is it going to take for you (QED & X) and JW (GPZ & X) to each mark out 10 un-dug targets and do some cross checking?   I know it should be an unfair test but even if the QED can pick up 7 of the GPZ's 10 then that is a fair effort (I think).  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Hearing that you can run your gain on 10 re-affirms that there may be something amiss with mine. 

If your Bias (THS B) is at the Null point your GB could actually be well out but the 'ground noise effect' has to push a long way to break through the threshold and make a noise that you hear.  If your chasing smaller pieces and you are setting your THS B around 5 points below Null then you might find your Ground Balance range to be 85 - 100.  At Null you might think your GB range is 70-110 but you are probably just not hearing the ground response.  In your dirt the range will probably be bigger than ours here.  Some places around the GT a few weeks ago allowed a GB range of only 1or 2 points. In other areas it might be a range of 6 or 7 points. 

And the X-Coil on the QED out in the field will be interesting too.  How much self control is it going to take for you (QED & X) and JW (GPZ & X) to each mark out 10 un-dug targets and do some cross checking?   I know it should be an unfair test but even if the QED can pick up 7 of the GPZ's 10 then that is a fair effort (I think).  

The NF EVO 14x9 was the only coil that didn't run on gain 10 easily (this was inside my house), it required a bit more fiddling with the THS B and SMR to get rid of the EMI, the 12x6" X-coil and Coiltek Joey ran on 10 just fine.  I only took the X-Coil out of the house and used it property but yes, Gain of 10 ran perfectly with no falsing or EMI issues.

I never ran my bias at null, I ran 4 below all the time, I'm a tiny gold hunter by nature 🙂  It's almost all I ever find so that's what I'll be trying to find.

I'll play a bit more with ground balance tomorrow but in that big range I couldn't get any ground noise lowering the coil.  I did however notice the lower end of the ground balance range gave me the best sensitivity to small gold.

I'll probably take the QED out for a spin tomorrow so I'll grab a video or two if I do. (weather dependent)

I'll test it Vs my GPX at some point soon and against the Equinox, JW's pretty busy at the moment so I doubt a test Vs GPZ + X-coil is likely in the very near future.  The Nox does pretty damn well in our mild soil.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I never ran my bias at null, I ran 4 below all the time

Would help if I read things properly  😉

Your soil is certainly amazing re: it's lack of mineralisation.  A very nice problem to have. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Your soil is certainly amazing re: it's lack of mineralisation.  A very nice problem to have. 

Certainly sounds promising. Good hunting Simon - 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1