Congratulations on your purchase Simon.  I look forward to reading your reviews.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are a brave man Simon wading into what has been a contentious subject. I honestly think you are a perfect candidate for this as too often the people involved have a lot of past history that messed with perceptions. You are a relatively fresh face and I think that’s good. I am sure your observations will prove interesting and valuable. 😀

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are a brave man Simon wading into what has been a contentious subject.

But the guys who'd like to get their hands around his neck will have to do some island hopping.  Besides, I heard he has a bodyguard who's a roofer in his spare time.  A word to the wise....😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I used a QED when I was there.  It is a very light machine.  We went to the CoilTek test garden to make a comparison between the ZED and QED.

Reg had his QED tuned up so that it could see a deep 24" target that my 14/ZED could not see.  The ZED was spot on on the other targets and I didn't make enough 'adjustments' to get it to see deeper.  I had considered a purchase of a QED when I was there but there needs to be some modification for the U.S. power I'm told.

My consideration of it as a unit for me to use has waned as I am such a poor gold finder and have family obligations which will keep me from using it that often.   Simon's descriptions will be of benefit to Howard and Reg of making it an even better machine.

Mitchel

Here is a picture of the garden's targets.

UMjzGg7IgiU5uvMa2pZy5Z9BdXKNt4uwAgbBZgc7PI3uWPzQOWDud5sAB4yykC7XrLtmKVP1AW_cSDBGDiPtZJtZlOnaMujcbGTbOKs4ummdQue-N2u_gBKKbz8DJ_v1RaDTTBpj2ci66OF7t7YH0AVqp5_RvZsn4mCQz7leq9cDALOcV0Bd64kY7nLh6BotzpVw_z_4a5NI3qQHwCsAwd0yBgGzQA9C3522k1dW2Q9T9p4hX-jGwl9kMg_zlRov6bex6ZKM70LipirSBRdDdpxD1vXmgVCIk7i9sv1JfSLdKS2iBGP54ROXPc8xAb5A1h7N8QdPcHuUj9BCeH2d5zQuIr8CDxymu1T7RxQ6AcQ3eM6UAm7sak9-xx-sGNDNaC4Idzjebj2n-nyhaC9elM6ZfgsRSbok655aiI2C5HhKjFEcoNlOiccQQ8n0K2-su3h6h3440zcR_-A00RKS5loPM_a-YL5RxwCDL6O2jjvWAeRkemf4eUdz78cCC05ZqJ-CuimAghzUDHCyXoGm8yU5uumwB3C0twEjQn7TBrhYeJYv4cz9FMZ1GN3me6_5ztCfnck8xVX1ZKhXF_noYt3-zEZ0uyjMlACFa6Ur-Pk9uPTQ933TIDUhy9JOmTxzPOqOQezm7GZsO5Sbo5EdALx3_cGLizOy=w343-h609-no

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You are a brave man Simon wading into what has been a contentious subject. I honestly think you are a perfect candidate for this as too often the people involved have a lot of past history that messed with perceptions. You are a relatively fresh face and I think that’s good. I am sure your observations will prove interesting and valuable. 😀

Hi Steve, 

I didn't even realise there was some crazy history of it until very recently, but that's none of my business, I'm just a consumer buying a detector to look for gold 🙂  I know people seem to have arguments over the QED all the time, I haven't looked into why and frankly I don't care, if it works for me that's all I care about.   I don't have any history at all with detecting or prospecting in any form, I'm only on my second year detecting.  I hope people don't attack me over my views, they're just honest assessments of how it works for me in our mild soil which again I try point out as often as I can (so does JW) so people don't think they will get the same results in hotter soils. 

In the past people have said detectors can't do things or couldn't possibly find this size at that depth and so on, but that's in their soil, everyone's soil is different so you can't take those reviews as a definite guideline to results.

I went to another forum about a week or two ago when I was deciding if I should get a QED and just saw a bunch of adults behaving like children calling each other names as they disagreed with things about the QED, some were wanting to meet up to punch each others lights out :laugh: I didn't read the mess long before I closed that window.   I didn't go there to read that, I wanted info on the QED which it lacked.

I'm probably super brave, like Hero type stuff along the lines of Superman :laugh: as I run the QED with an X-coil, now that's pushing the limits! People didn't agree with X-coils either as they had some beliefs there was intellectual property rights issues with the coils.

I bought my QED, I'm in no way obligated to say nice things about it.

What attracted me to it is it's ability to handle EMI as a lot of the gold places around here have big giant power lines in them, which is why I've asked lots of EMI questions and also queried about the Anti interference coils.  This EMI ability has been proven to me already and it's ability to find small gold well and it sure sees small gold better than my GPX in air testing..

I also like having no wires joining me to my detector as I get tangled up all the time 🙂 and it's weight is impressive.

I can't buy a ZED as my wife would leave me if I did 🙂 and I would struggle to justify that sort of money on a detector unless I lived in a place with lots of gold to be able to find with it to at least try justify the cost, I have just as much fun on my less expensive detectors.  The QED is very reasonably priced and a great way for someone to get into the world of high performance PI's without having to sell a kidney.  

I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Northeast said:

Your soil is certainly amazing re: it's lack of mineralisation.  A very nice problem to have. 

Something I keep banging on about Northeast & why we are able to run our detectors pretty much flat out. I am now in the habit of running the Zed in full max sensitivity of 20 with the  X coils. Yes, I gather we are very spoilt having that "problem":biggrin:  I would be a fish out of water if I was suddenly dumped in some of your high mineral rich locations, being so use to running things flat out. But I am sure I would be able to adapt with a bit of "fiddling" of controls & then learn what they are all there for.🤔. When it comes to the QED I seem to remember that fiddling word causing world war 3.:rolleyes: I do look forward to see how things pan out for Simon with his QED.

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

JW's pretty busy at the moment so I doubt a test Vs GPZ + X-coil is likely in the very near future.  The Nox does pretty damn well in our mild soil.

No Simon....you are busy skiing now in the weekends & I work during the week.😉

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

My consideration of it as a unit for me to use has waned as I am such a poor gold finder and have family obligations which will keep me from using it that often. 

I'm not that great at finding gold either, JW probably gets 10 to my 1 on average.  I for some reason tend to do better on my VLF's than my GPX, probably as I use them more often as I'm more comfortable on them.  Quite often though my biggest bits are with the GPX.  I doubt your troubles finding gold in OZ were your skill level, you just didn't find the right places. Don't let it get you down.

That's the perfect situation for a QED you describe above, someone that can't detect for gold as often as they would like to, it's price point makes it viable for that situation, the GPZ price point on the other hand.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I didn't even realise there was some crazy history of it until very recently, but that's none of my business, I'm just a consumer buying a detector to look for gold 🙂  I know people seem to have arguments over the QED all the time, I haven't looked into why and frankly I don't care, if it works for me that's all I care about.   I don't have any history at all with detecting or prospecting in any form, I'm only on my second year detecting.  I hope people don't attack me over my views, they're just honest assessments of how it works for me in our mild soil which again I try point out as often as I can (so does JW) so people don't think they will get the same results in hotter soils. 

World war 3, as I said. Don't even bother trying to find out why. It is totally irrelevant & best you dont know as your fresh unbiased approach is what is needed. What you said above is on the money as is what Steve said.👍 Any competition in detectors is good for end consumers. Considering the price of some verses ability out in the field. I have always followed with great interest, as have many, the development over the years of the QED. It has had its moments but good things take time & its time may have come. May be the world's best kept secret, except for those in the know.😉 Look forward to your reports on it out it in the field. 

Best of luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Quite often though my biggest bits are with the GPX.

That really is the point, & beauty of the GPX detectors, & coil combinations. In our ground it will find the bigger smaller bits (hope that makes sense as our gold is all small. Some just a bit bigger than others) at depth a VLF doesn't. IMHO & my experience swing them. I am excited for you with your QED.

JW 🤠

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

That really is the point, & beauty of the GPX detectors, & coil combinations. In our ground it will find the bigger smaller bits (hope that makes sense as our gold is all small. Some just a bit bigger than others) at depth a VLF doesn't. IMHO & my experience swing them. I am excited for you with your QED.

JW 🤠

Thanks John, yup the GPX most certainly finds the bigger bits at depth the VLF's appear to often miss.  I am hoping the QED can do the same as it's got the ability to find the tiny bits too and there are a lot more of them, the GPX tends to just go straight past a lot of them with my skill levels and then you hoover them up with your GPZ and X-coils 🙂

I'm the first to admit I'm not great at finding faint signals in a threshold, I guess that's what excited me about the QED.  I can run it silent only making sound when there is a target like my Gold Monster.

Someone skilled at the GPX probably can find the tiny bits I miss with it or the deeper bits I walk right past on it. I'm certainly not writing it off, I'm just going to have to get better at using it and I'm sure that's going to take time.

To me the QED seems FAR easier to use.

• Like 1