1 hour ago, jasong said:

Au_solitude, did the user mention if it tended to struggle just on ferrous type mineralization or also on salt (conductive) type hot ground too? The GPX is a lot better on salt than my GPZ and that's one reason I keep it around still.

Jason, he didn't say, and unfortunately I didn't even think to ask at the time. 

7 hours ago, araratgold said:

Not that the QED sycophants will listen to these people about these problems, they would rather attack and denigrate the user, than admit that there is a problem !

Hi Rick, Please don't re-wind that spring & bring it over to Steve's forum. Keep the lid on the jack in the box shut.👍 Lets just see what Simon reports to us from a non biased point of view in our mild ground conditions.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We need a scenery photo thread!

Well done Simon. 76, mode 1, gain 10? Geez!

• Like 2

Well done Simon. I knew you would not take long to find your first QED gold. I am really pleased for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Reg, it's very easy to use, I just need to get my audio sorted out, my Sony speaker on a cord was annoying me :laugh: I'll have it sorted by next weekend I hope.  Howard and Steelphase should team up and make a QED with built in SP01 amplifier and a speaker in it's battery box and it'd be a dream.

I wasn't sure if my Auto ground balance worked as every time I try it nothing happens, but I found a big green hot rock and did it on top of that and it shot up from 76 to 148 so obviously it does work and I just don't need to use it.  It seems to be anywhere in the 70's to 110 is balanced and if I am at the lower end towards 70 it's more sensitive to small gold.

• Like 1

Thanks heaps for your feed back Simon. It is both informative and refreshing.

Howard is watching with interest your experiences and your astute observations. Your feedback may provide ideas to make the QED an even better machine, as feedback from other QED owners has already done.

The early QEDs received some criticisms regarding ground balance issues, which Howard took on board, leading to the extended mode that your PL2 now has. Howard has taken a generous step in updating early units for the owners with the only cost being postage. PL2s are being used successfully in all states in Australia now, even in highly mineralized ground.

Any QED being used in America really needs a slight alteration to the software because of different EMI effects due to the difference in their electricity supply. This can easily be done for anyone in the USA who may be interested in this detector. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it will be a top unit in the mild NZ ground Simon! 👍

• Like 3

Well done Simon. Looks like the "Kwed" will be a useful addition to your growing arsenal of detectors. Gold found usually pleases the Chancellor of the Exchequer and helps to keep things sweet! 👍

No gold where I live but mind blowing depth on historic artifacts, coins etc. Finds more even after the coin machines have been through  :)

• Like 1