phrunt

Qed - First Impressions

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I even channeled my inner mountain goat at this spot checking all the bedrock, all it ended up having was pellets ? It's a LONG way down from there.

Ha ha. I thought you were pushing your boundaries & getting very dearing. There was gold there & I did ok with the 3000. Not so much so with the 4500 but the Zed & ML 14" coil got me a few more. Looks very promising ground aye. Did you cross the lower bridge?

JW ? 

• Like 1

You Beauty Phrunt, but I`m not listening to you anymore, I am not getting a QED.....well maybe....no no no

• Haha 5

Congratulations on your first QED gold. 

Brian.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Ha ha. I thought you were pushing your boundaries & getting very dearing. There was gold there & I did ok with the 3000. Not so much so with the 4500 but the Zed & ML 14" coil got me a few more. Looks very promising ground aye. Did you cross the lower bridge?

JW ? 

You just know everywhere don't you! Amazing ?

I didn't cross the bridge, I stayed on the big rock area and all the bedrock around it.  I didn't notice any dig holes so I thought I was possibly on a winner.  The landowner came up and chatted to me, he was tending to his grapes.  Nice guy and didn't care I was there.  A digger has been though and cleared all the bush below the big rock bit below the power lines, its all leveled out, Don't know what they plan to do there but I was hoping to detect that ground as you just never know but ran out of time.  I only had half a day due to the doctor visit in the morning.  Also they've cut down all the broom and rubbish that was all around the area, there will be a lot more exposed ground than when you were last there I am sure.  It looks a brilliant spot but all I got was pellets and 22 shells.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You just know everywhere don't you! Amazing ?

Well....it is very close to home....& no gold ground is save when it is that handy to me. As you are finding out. I try to leave no stone unturned.

4 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I didn't notice any dig holes so I thought I was possibly on a winner.

The practised art of backfilling?.

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

A digger has been though and cleared all the bush below the big rock bit below the power lines, its all leveled out, Don't know what they plan to do there but I was hoping to detect that ground as you just never know but ran out of time.

Either to plant more grapes, or a new house site. Be worth going over it. You can be the second digger to go through there:laugh:

7 minutes ago, phrunt said:

looks a brilliant spot but all I got was pellets and 22 shells.

Sorry. I left those for you. I know how much you love them :laugh: I haven't had the X coils in there yet. There is a thought.?

Best of luck out there

JW ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, kiwijw said:

Sorry. I left those for you. I know how much you love them :laugh: I haven't had the X coils in there yet. There is a thought.?

Yes, you should X-coil it, power lines are obviously the issue there though so how well the Zed with X-coil will handle them would be the question, the cleared ground is all down towards the water, a huge area that was by the looks of it covered in scrub.  I accidentally found this spot trying to find the other spot you took me to where the American tourists talked to you and you got a few bits with the Zed and it had a creek and I had to keep dunking in the creek to cool down.  I've never been able to find that spot again ?

I hope to make it back there very soon for all that cleared ground.

Hi Simon, Yes the X coils won't like the powerlines. I know that much. Especially that close. I really don't know how you couldn't find that spot I took you to. You remembered the creek & there are so many reference points & objects that just takes a mental note to take note of when first pulling up off the road to park & even walking to the location. You don't need a photographic type memory, but that would help. You don't have to remember too many features as reference points to guide you. You just need to be more observant of the surroundings & take those mental notes. Not just walking following me & not taking any notice of where you are actually walking & what you are passing & what direction you are traveling. Where you ended up is quite a way from where you were trying to get. Maybe get a map or print a copy of the area from google earth & from that you can see where we parked & what direction we went & where we detected & the creek etc etc. It really isn't rocket science. Just a bit of research & map work. You don't really find spots by accident if you do research. The research leads you to them. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of it.

JW ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

You remembered the creek & there are so many reference points & objects that just takes a mental note to take note of when first pulling up off the road to park & even walking to the location.

JW ?

I thought I did well to find a creek, although it was the wrong one and was 50 meters down in a gorge. I used software to find that creek and I thought it was the one :laugh:  I'll start exploring the map again.

I do need to try be more observant but it takes time with me, I can now get to your house without GPS! I need to take a packed lunch if I walk anywhere in case I get lost ?

• Haha 1

Like to see you two Kiwi blokes work together on some coil and detector comparisons. 

I'm not rusted onto any detector and regard the Russian coils on the GPZ's and GPX's  an interesting development, since I still have my 5000. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I do need to try be more observant but it takes time with me,

Observation & imagination are two very important key points in looking for gold & not getting lost when in the great outdoors. You could still carry a handheld GPS.?

• Like 2