12 hours ago, phrunt said:

I thought I did well to find a creek, although it was the wrong one and was 50 meters down in a gorge. I used software to find that creek and I thought it was the one :laugh:  I'll start exploring the map again.

There are only two creeks in that area, so you had a 50/50 chance & chose took the wrong one. It is still a gold area though. Yes....she is a pretty mean gorge all right. You would not want to fall down there. I always wonder how much gold is down below all the big boulders & old timer sluicing tailings from their workings above. Did you see the old workings? The bloody briar rose has taken those over so impossible to get in there. I have tried. I even got down below where that gorge creek flows into the main river. Nasty country in there. Massive rocks & lots of them. Gave up on that straight away after a shit fight just to get down & in there. Too hard basket. The things you have to do in finding gold. Always a good adventure though & they all good fun & part of the journey. Gold or no gold.

Good luck out there

JW 🤠  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think AD was pointing out that the manual says to only listen to, and adjust according to, the downward motion of the coil.  Now, I know the manual says this but I have found the QED to be perfectly balanced when there is no signal up or down.  So, I do a pumping motion of the coil too but it is a slower action than on the Minelab's.“

Northeast performed his method of MGB on my unit this morn. It works a treat.

Im reducing my share (if not more) of trash, if nothing else!

I went back out this arvo. Yep, trash till the batteries went flat. Didnt even consider checking battery status as i ‘assumed’ there to be plenty of charge. So, the 4 legged kids and i did some scouting around to finish off the day.

That will do me for at least a couple weeks with my foot op on Monday.

Oh yeah, Adam showed (off) his beautiful nugget. I was starting believe gold is in everyone’s imagination!

Thanks mate, a well needed learning curve.

• Like 2

Good luck with the operation! Hopefully it all works out well..

Thanks Simon. Ill believe it when they have me on the op table! Ive been as close as the room outside the surgery in a gown only to be turned back so, lol!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, AussieDigs said:

We need a scenery photo thread!

That would dominate the forum outright. Way beyond gold & gold finds. Gold most always seems to be in the most beautiful scenic places, & I'm not just talking my back yard either.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, AussieMatt said:

Looks like it will be a top unit in the mild NZ ground Simon! 👍

I am convinced that our insanely mild ground is the key to our success in finding this small/tiny gold with any number of detectors & coil combos. The bigger gold having been taken care of long ago by the masses that went before us. The bread crumbs are still present to the trained, well tuned ear & to a certain degree, later technologies in detector & coil. 

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 2

JW, when the likes of you and Simon show pics of the surroundings of your prospecting haunts (and from your backyard) it gives us viewing pleasure. We all have some beautiful country we prospect in. Its a shame not to share it.

67593B85-642E-4F09-BD90-B36E997ECDBF.jpeg

• Like 5

Love those Xanthorrhoea (Blackboy) palms. They grow around my location as well. Off topic, sorry.

• Like 6

I have a Nugget that my GPX 4500 is completely blind to, I believe I found it with my Gold Monster 1000.  I've tried on my 14x9" EVO coil, Coiltek Joey 10x5" coil and the 12x6" X-coil on the GPX and it doesn't see it at all, even touching the coil. 

I tried the same Nugget today on the QED, Mode 1, Gain 10, Bias 52 and it see's the nugget using the X-coil, not exceptionally well and only gets just over an inch on it but at least it see's it.  I didn't bother trying the other coils.

Here is the Nugget under my USB Microscope, I took a photo of each side of it.

WIN_20190619_15_18_25_Pro.jpg.8273b32115081685c95d47f18318e8d8.jpgWIN_20190619_15_15_49_Pro.jpg.c307b2a2b7117cc5845dd41f337ebf64.jpg

I've been meaning to put it over JW's GPZ to see if it can see it but every time I take it with me I forget to do it.  VLF's pick it up no troubles, even the Gold Bug Pro gets good depth on it.

IMG_20190619_152708.jpg.917478ea9e6d620ef34b4ee6a6fdb7ee.jpg

The QED would normally slam on a nugget this size with at least twice that depth so the weird nugget is still having some negative effect on the QED but the GPX is completely blind to it. 

Is it the rough surface on it that makes it hard for a PI to detect?  I think it's pretty big for it's weight.

Looks like it's mixed with ironstone, which can fool some P.I.s.

• Like 2

Are those fractures that go all the way through the nugget or larger pieces of ironstone? Are there little holes in it?

Anything that reduces the ability of eddy currents to establish will probably also reduce the signal response on a PI. Reason I ask about fractures is the way we reduced or eliminated eddy currents on a research project I did in school was to cut holes and slots into the conductive metal (a projectile in our case, but same principle).

• Like 2