My detector has been having some problems lately. I have a teknetics liberator. The other night it was chirping periodically. In the morning it wouldn’t turn on. So I checked the connecting points and put a fresh battery in and the power button still didn’t work. When I put the battery in it would turn on automatically but then would turn off after a short time.

Has anyone ever had experiences fixing this?

Could possibly be an issue with the on/off button membrane, if so I would be contacting Fisher for a  warranty repair if still covered, I doubt whether it would be user repairable. 

• Like 2

if you do find it's the button and out of warranty you could possibly wire up a new switch or button to the side or somewhere to turn it on or off.  That's what I'd have to do here as I'd have to send it to USA to be repaired, never worth it so fixing yourself it often the better option.

This morning I was asleep and heard a distant and faint bleep... then about 3 seconds passed followed by low tone. Found it it was my Teknetics Minuteman. Looked at the screen and it showed the battery icon with nothing else. Tried to turn it on and it will not fully turn on. It will not fully turn off either. So it is in limbo somewhere in between for lack of a better term. Removed the battery and that stopped the mess.

I've admittedly only used this detector a couple times, less than 4 hrs on it. It surely can't be a problem from use. In the case of mine, this detector is only a few months old. I'm thinking it is some sort of resistor/capacitance leakdown

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Joe L
      Being new to these forums, if this is not the place for this, please move. Due to excitement just wanted to sing out here.
      I am adding a Gold detector to my arsenal..  I did research this for quite a bit and realized that gold detecting, nuggets anyway, would only be maybe 1%, well maybe less, use of the machine. It would also be used for general detecting and a unit for friends that want to give it a try (it’s a easy to use detector.) But, I do want a capable detector the will work for gold also. Reading Steve’s review and rating of this detector, I'm pulling the the lever.
      For these reasons I have chosen a     Fisher Gold Bug Pro.
      Thanks for listening.  Joe 
    • By Professor Hester
      I want to give a sincere "Thank You!" to Steve Herschbach, Reno Chris, Ivans Garage, Snake Jim, Mike Hillis, RickUK, AZBlackbird, and Sourdough Scott who all responded to my dumb questions.
      I tried to match up the requirements, as you told me, of a metal detector for gold nuggets and coins:
      * High frequency
      * Ground balance
      But I could not find a metal detector in my price range of ($300-$350) that met those two requirements I am back to square one and I guess I will not be purchasing a metal detector at this time. At least I now know what to look for and I am no longer completely ignorant. I am disappointed but I will get over it.
      I will recommend your forum to anyone. You guys spent your own time to help me. It doesn't get any better than that.
      Thank again.
      Professor Hester
    • By 2Valen
      I am looking for suggestions for detecting at a construction site. A local village has sold some property that was once a baseball/football field to a store.
      Currently they have removed the top 4 inches of the site and has placed it along the perimeter of the job site, and is going to take out the next 12 inches of soil to bring in new soil in which to build on. 
      I have permission to check what ever ground I want as long as I don't interfere with the construction, and then there is the rest of the property that will be needed to be gone over.
      The topsoil and grass that they have placed on the outer edge is 5 feet tall by about 6 feet wide and is in a lot of clumps.
      These areas is the outfield of the ball field and the main playing field for football that they have moved the soil on.
      So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear how to do this search. I have only been there for about 20 minutes and have found about 11 coins already. I would have stayed longer, but I didn't notice my battery level being on 1 bar.
      Valen
    • By Steve Herschbach
      How many of you have a non-human prospecting or detecting buddy? Dog, cat, burro, reconnaissance bird... whatever. Post a pic and tell us about them. Here is a chance to brag about our best friends! 
    • By phrunt
      A few weeks ago I lost my Garrett Carrot AT when detecting down at a local river, I didn't realise it was lost until it was long gone, I tried for a couple of days to walk the same path to find it but never did so I decided I'd buy another one and some gadgets to prevent me losing it too.
      I have the standard belt holder for my Carrot but didn't like it, too high on my body for my Carrot to sit so it kept getting banged.
      I first tried my Minelab finds bag to look after it, it appears to have Carrot holders on the side of it but it doesn't fit well which makes it difficult to get in and out and has no clip for a lanyard. It sits really high on the bag too and gets in the way of my elbows.

So I hunted around on Ebay and found a Chinese made finds bag for a good price and it had a clip and fits the Carrot much better, the bag has more features and better quality too

I like it's drink bottle holder pouch. A zip up pocket for the important stuff and a big area for the junk with holes to let out the dirt.  It was about $15 USD delivered.
      Then I stumbled across bike torch mounts so I bought a few of them thinking I'll mount my carrot on my shaft 😀

They worked fine but again, difficult to get it in and out but there was another model available that looked better.

The top is firm rubber and lets you get the Carrot in and out easily and they're only about $1 USD each with free shipping to NZ.

They hold stable and won't be lost like this, I don't notice the weight, some might...  I can use a torch in them for night detecting too if I wish.
      And the best news bit of this story, I found my original lost Carrot today down at the river while testing my new T2, it's in that photo on my Equinox shaft after I got it back... lucky it's waterproof as it's been through a lot of rain and snow.  
      If anyone has a better method of not losing a Pinpointer I'd be interested in hearing it.

• By Tugboat
      Hi People when you see other detectorists, how much distance should one give each other?  and 2nd question is, i have the minelab 15 pinpointer  but it really struggles unless its all most on the target, it was a free pinpointer that came with the 600. Do i buy the minelab 35 or another brand? thanks