GPZ With 15" & 12" Spiral X Coil

On 6/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, flakmagnet said:

Slightly off topic,

Anyone know someone who can make a patch lead in the US?

David,

I took this from another thread where I posted it but here are some ideas about someone who could cut a coil cord, make the patch and attach a new connector:

We've had several people inquire about who could make the patch lead here in the states if someone wonders about their abilities and I've thought of a solution.  Most automotive electrical shops deal with patch leads of a similar nature so they could act like they are just making another harness.  

We also have offroad shops that install lights and things on tricked out trucks.  I even stopped by one of those in Maryborough looking for a car wash/detailer.

A final thought on the matter is to go to a speedometer shop.  I did that recently to get the lights updated on my 2003 Escalade.  I noticed that they put it on a bench and re-soldered all the connections ... not just the ones that were dim.

Those are the places I'd go with it if I bought an XCoil.

Mitchel

• Like 2

I've read the instructions and it's pretty basic soldering, I'm sure I can do it no problems. The prospect of making one for someone else and ending up with the "coil not connected" error and getting blamed for it or feeling bad about someone losing a trip or buying a new coil makes me really not want to do that though after seeing the latest thread.

That aside, thinking about this all - I really don't see this as a sustainable business model for these coils. I really wonder how long they are going to stick around to replace coils/keep making new ones or honor warranties if another competitor comes out with licensed coils for the same price or cheaper which are plug and play?

• Like 1

Yeah we can discuss the patch lead til the "cows come home", but my 10"X coil should be delivered today, bugger procrastinating lets be positive and get the X gold. I can feel a nugget coming on...……...

• Haha 1

On 6/15/2019 at 11:08 PM, afreakofnature said:

This is what i would like to know too.  

Well I`ve sort of done this, by that I mean using them on separate occasions on the same bit of ground not an actual side x side test. It is my opinion that the ML 8" is outclassed by both the 11" C (Coiltek) coil on the SDC and by the 10" X coil on the Z but between the 11"C + SDC and the 10"X + Z I haven`t seen a difference as yet. I doubt I will use ML 8 on my SDC, another point for the 11"C I prefer centre mount coils. The ML 8 did get gold on this site but not with the ease both the 11"C and 10"X do. 

Side by side tests, photos, vids and other such methods of displaying my opinion are not my thing, but if you or any other private user has any questions about my opinion on the X or C coils, I will give my opinion as an answer.

• Like 3

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked

Many thanks Steve, the way to go for sure as I`ve taken the step and gone with the Z X coils and have stated I put performance ahead of warranty concerns, or repair costs seeing as my Zs out of warranty. Plus of course cost is not a great concern to me, and because I assume everyone who reads my threads is over 12 years old, I assume they can make decisions themselves. I am not here to knock any product, but to express my opinion of products I find increases my enjoyment of our great hobby, the X coils do that well and truly.

JP or anyone else having his own thread to inform users of their individual opinions is the go, now I`ll go back to answering Jasong with my opinion of X ground concerns, I know my opinion is just that my opinion. Jasong if you wish to have JPs opinion go to his thread please because we all know my opinion is just about as opposite as can be to JPs.

My opinion is simply I went with the ferrite and carried it for weeks when it first came out, it achieved nothing for me thus I believe my ground is not affected by the X effect. It now resides on the input end of a SW antenna wired in as a balun. Naturally I have not tried it with the X coils as I took off with the original 15X coil without changing a setting on my Z initially, I changed from difficult to normal pretty quickly as it was very apparent the X coil could run in normal much more stable then the 14"ML. 

For the technical side of X ground, go to JPs thread, I have not pursued it and until I experience it I wont. If you have any questions of the use of the X coils from a happy X coil user, there I can help. Gets a bit confusing with all these Xs but you get my drift.

• Like 3

Yeah, I actually asked Steve to delete my request for more info in the X/saturation thing probably right as you were writing your response to me coincidentally. :laugh: I'm just going to stay out of all of that.

I figure I'll just test it myself and see what results I get. My results will probably be meaningless to people in WA or other places because my ground is pretty mild.

But thanks for your input on the X. I agree, in my ground I have not had to use the ferrite either. I also normally stay in auto tracking too though, which is probably part of that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasong said:

I figure I'll just test it myself and see what results I get. My results will probably be meaningless to people in WA or other places because my ground is pretty mild.

Seems test yourself is all we as individuals who have spent a few hours swinging for gold to prove/disprove  theories. eg. About mild ground, I always thought that the ground in my area was mild, but after chasing the stuff all over OZ from 98 on, I realised some of my ground is as hot as others thus forming the opinion that it is a myth that one state here in OZ has the "hottest" ground. 

• Like 2