Is Your WM12 Getting Slow To Charge?

A couple of months ago I put out a call for the parts list for the WM12 because my original WM12 was taking forever to charge.          At the same time I bought the replacement battery, I also bought some heavier charging cables because I have about half a dozen devices that all use the same cable. I bought cables that were listed as suitable for external hard drives and they were about 6 bucks each. Because I kept changing cables on different devices I don`t even know now what cables came with the WM12.         Anyway, with the heavier charging cables my original WM12 now charges QUICKER than the newer WM12, so I don`t need to fit the battery.        Maybe, if your WM12 is getting sluggish charging, it may not be the battery, it may be the cable breaking down.   Just a thought.    Dave

RIMG0105 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3

I had an extremely slow charging WM 12 a few months ago. I asked ML about it and they immediately said to send it back because it was still under warrantee. I did and they returned a new one in two days. So I believe they are aware that there may be some slow-down problems, but that's an opinion not based on anything other than the response I got from ML service.

The new one still takes a bit of time charging, but nothing like the old one…also I use any USB cable I can find and I have a bunch of them…they all seem to work well. 

Fred I don't ever charge off the computer for the WM12. The SP01? Yes. And it charges in about 15 minutes after a full days use…amazing huh?

• Like 1

I have always used the USB port on the battery charger for the 3030/ZED for charging the WM12 and the WM10.  I had no issues with it.

While I was in Australia I couldn't insert the USB for some reason and I had to use the USB on my power strip that I took with me.  I have this power strip because I use it to charge the Equinox and separately the the headphones.  It works well also.  I had bought an adapter after I left Reg's house that I plugged my strip and devices into and it also works with an inverter in a car so I could charge while traveling.

When I got home from Australia and I attempted to fix the USB on the charger.  I took off the bottom cover and put the USB back in place and wedged a piece around it to keep it in place.  This USB is mounted on a little board which regulates the power for both the USB and battery charger.  After I put it back together and plugged in my wire it did not work.  I assume it has a small wire break and I don't sodder so I'll use the other one I have since one came with the 3030 and one with the ZED.

The wires that I use to charge the devices does seem to make a difference ... perhaps the pins or just dirty.  I have a phone cable that only seems to work on my phone and will work better on the headphones.  One of the two other cables will not even 'light up' my headphones for charging so I have to be careful to see the charge light on or I'll have dead headphones or phone at times.

Confusing but I have multiple ways to charge and another one if I use the computer but I don't like to stress my power supply on it.

Mitchel

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

from where did you get heavier charging cables? I charge off my battery or house current...are you charging off your computer?

confused

I bought the new cables on Ebay Fred and yeh I charge them on the laptop, and like I said using the lighter cables took way longer than using the heavier cables.  Dave

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Type-A-to-Mini-B-5Pin-Male-Data-Transfer-Power-Charger-Y-External-HDD-Cable/291595964071?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1