An Interesting Case For 2 Tones

In a previous post of mine, I made the case for using 3 tones based on Low, Medium and High conductive targets; a system I routinely use in hunting our Florida beaches.  It's simple, effective and gives me the information I really need.

The videos below however, make a strong case for 2 tones and the "Dig it All" approach when using the Equinox series detectors.   Why?  As you'll see in those videos, the tested targets span the VDI spectrum based on metallurgical composition, shape and size. Granted, these are nothing more than air tests which aren't affected by depth, moisture or ground mineralization but they at least provide some indication as to how a variety of targets range the VDI scale based on their individual characteristics.

If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.

If I were interested only in a more detailed target description, I would lean heavily toward the CTX 3030.  However, in the type of beach hunting I do, I favor the Multi IQ, faster processor, enhanced sensitivity and weight of the EQX over the CTX...just my personal preference or as I always say, "Just the view from my foxhole."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsgspduZA_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7345qtsc7s&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMHH5ynSwW0&feature=youtu.be

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

If using 2 tones, I would personally set the tone breaks at -9 to 0 using tone pitch 1 indicating probable junk and the second tone break at 1 thru 40 using tone pitch 25.

I have written on this before. Can anyone explain why I would want any more than ONE TONE at the beach? I am looking for good repeatable targets +1 and better. What do I care if they ring in different? THAT is what I have a number readout for. 

I feel that I get so much more information on target size and depth in one tone. Also I do not have issues with ignoring a tick that might be in a wrong tone. In my world [one tone] everything gets investigated.

Dave 

• Like 2

In the water no reason really to go multi tone, especially if your objective is gold jewelry.  Frankly, I think the VCO audio of Gold mode is best and is more similar to the Excal, but since it is not a tone option for the other modes, including beach,  can't be used in salt water.  I really wish ML would enable gold mode audio as an option on the other modes.

• Like 1

2 tone is not just a simplified version of 50ton or 5ton - but it is similar to sound reproduction ... as with analog detectors ... you are more familiar with the details of the signal ... and -the location and  the edges of the objects- in the ground- over target - here help  5-6-7..settings recovery speed ...

• Like 1

Two tone works well, but im not a fan of the 25 setting..... at least not for my ears.   Some where around 13 seems to catch me...... and for some odd reason on say a quarter or a can...... it doesnt quit size the target properly being that high.    Another consideration is ...... if you are looking for gold.....id go with a disc pattern.   A whole lot less targets to check in two tones.   Once that box is under....... you are looking for a target first and for most.    Patterns can be a great time saver if you know what you want to find.    Choosing two tones you have to realize ..... any falsing will come in both those tones.    Thats why i like AM and multi tones..... it has a tenancy to move iron back to the iron range.   As far as why not single tone........ if you go that way you best be using disc because i can tell you there is a lot of iron out there even when nothing else is........ got to love bobbie pins and bottle caps.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Two tone works well, but im not a fan of the 25 setting..... at least not for my ears.   Some where around 13 seems to catch me...... and for some odd reason on say a quarter or a can...... it doesnt quit size the target properly being that high.    Another consideration is ...... if you are looking for gold.....id go with a disc pattern.   A whole lot less targets to check in two tones.   Once that box is under....... you are looking for a target first and for most.    Patterns can be a great time saver if you know what you want to find.    Choosing two tones you have to realize ..... any falsing will come in both those tones.    Thats why i like AM and multi tones..... it has a tenancy to move iron back to the iron range.   As far as why not single tone........ if you go that way you best be using disc because i can tell you there is a lot of iron out there even when nothing else is........ got to love bobbie pins and bottle caps.

I'll be staying with my custom 3 tones set up. And to each his own RE: pitch.  I like 1,12 and 25.

I just posted this 2 tone post as an item of interest based on those videos and how various targets span the spectrum of VDI.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 10:40 AM, ColonelDan said:

how various targets span the spectrum of VDI.

Yes agree they can. Although I listen to target tones first, VDI second, one thing I noticed is the numbers on a crushed aluminum can or a target with points or angles jump around (from 2 to 29 sometimes) . So even if using only three or two tones, I would want to watch the VDI numbers to see if they remain close with each sweep of the coil. Hopefully a repeatable target.

• Like 1

VDI variability is a key “discriminator” of junk targets like bottlecaps and cans and the only way you can truly get an audible sense of that is using 50 tones.  So the site and likely junk and keeper targets go into my decision as to number of tones I am going to run at a site.  Less likely to run 50 tones in the water, though, where environmental conditions are likely to affect vdi stability.

15 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Yes agree they can. Although I listen to target tones first, VDI second, one thing I noticed is the numbers on a crushed aluminum can or a target with points or angles jump around (from 2 to 29 sometimes) . So even if using only three or two tones, I would want to watch the VDI numbers to see if they remain close with each sweep of the coil. Hopefully a repeatable target.

Have you tried going to the all metal mode [horseshoe button] when these jumpy numbers happen?  I work in one tone and when I seem to get targets that try to ring-in and try to repeat, I have gone to all metal mode and the target then locks in, usually in the minus 0-9 area. But I have also noticed that a jumpy conductive target has also locked in better in all metal mode. At least at the beach.

Dave

• Like 1