phoenix

I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

Clearly, with the huge amount of interest that is being shown in the after market coils for 7000, it`s obvious that there is a market out there for coils other than 14'' and 19".       I don`t take the 19" out much because I have had very little success with it and with my bad wrists it`s just too damn heavy, but Minelab did tell us in the early days of marketing the 7000 that they would be releasing a 11" coil down the track, and now there is another company that nobody has ever heard of making a huge range of coils that are lighter and have so far been very well received by the public.
What`s going on Minelab?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think that's a question only Minelab can answer, I suspect it won't be long and Nugget Finder, Detech and Coiltek will be coming out with coils too, why wouldn't they?   Basically Minelab missed a massive opportunity.... If the manufacturer won't do it people will find a way. 

Maybe the other coil manufacturers thought nobody would be interested in cutting their coil cable to use aftermarket coils.  Now so many people have done so they'll see how desperate people were for other coil options. 

The X-coils however aren't just giving people other size coils, they're actually performing better too.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The X-coils however aren't just giving people other size coils, they're actually performing better too.

The after market coils are also built better. I don't have the 7000, but on my GPX I have switched to Detech coils because the Minelab DD coils just don't last. Plus the variety of sizes is nice too. Maybe there is just not enough money in it for Minelab to get serious about coil manufacturing.... They may be too busy coming out with new machines that will squish back the competition a bit

• Like 2

My guess is a whole new machine is eventually coming out and they don't want to waste money developing coils for something old that they will be phasing out. Lets hope the next top gun detector from Minelab is half the weight and has a small coil option.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Id agree maybe the original intent was to provide a lineup of additional factory coils, but for some reason unbeknown to us they seem to have aborted that idea ☹️

Jason that's well put. I think a lot of us are wondering about these issues and have been for quite awhile. It is a strange situation, although it is not particularly new, to have a company be this unresponsive to legitimate questions from it's customer base - questions that are predicated on what we have been led to believe from the earliest days of the 7000's release; coil interchangeability... 

There is a touch of absurdity in having to jeopardize our machines in order to avail ourselves of the coil versatility that the previous lines of detectors have had. The release of smaller coils is a valid expectation even if, as some have said, it was not explicitly stated. 

The GPZ is the best gold detector out there. To only have one additional coil available is unfathomable - unless, that is, there is another model in the pipeline that has taken precedence in the economic forecasting. Then silence is to be expected, unwelcome as it is - just not for 4 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As has been stated before, there is always something in the pipeline.  It is more than just releasing it.  The existing product has a life and then there is a clamour for new or more and then they know it is time to release the next product.  Minelab is somewhat like a phone company with its electronics.  

The latest phone would be great for some people but the old ones still work for many.  They may have a two or three generation back product that still works in a way that is acceptable.  That is the way I am now with the Zed.  I'm not going to spend 2-3-4 thousand on a new lighter detector to go back over the same places I've already been.

I just need to get lucky again.  and again ... haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like your phone analogy MN, tis unreal that the consumer can spend about the same on a 6" phone as on a 60"TV, both Android except iphones of course.

With ML it seems they push the SDC for those who want smaller coils, the Z for their 14 & 19. Hard to understand why they put that chip in the coil connector not in the coil itself, why bother...…….. buh ……………..ML works in mysterious ways but you cannot knock their detector technology as they are light years ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Norvic said:

I like your phone analogy MN, tis unreal that the consumer can spend about the same on a 6" phone as on a 60"TV, both Android except iphones of course.

With ML it seems they push the SDC for those who want smaller coils, the Z for their 14 & 19. Hard to understand why they put that chip in the coil connector not in the coil itself, why bother...…….. buh ……………..ML works in mysterious ways but you cannot knock their detector technology as they are light years ahead. 

Got to agree with you Norvic. I thought when the ZED first came out that the chip was in the coil, but learned later it was actually in the plug. If they had have put the chip in the coil, we would all be stuffed !

Probably a mistake on their behalf, because now there is nothing they can do to stop the flow of aftermarket coils.

Rick

• Like 2