I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

Could it be as simple as a development shop that is throttled by an economic financial model that doesn't allow for coil R&D money?

6 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Could it be as simple as a development shop that is throttled by an economic financial model that doesn't allow for coil R&D money?

OK, then outsource the coil R&D to the industry experts...Coiltek & Nugget Finder! What is so hard, let it go!:nuggetfinder::coiltek:

Bill 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Could be lots of things but from a consumer standpoint it’s all just excuses. I could care less about why, I just wish they would do something about it.

I too am over it from a consumer standpoint. There is no excuse for not following through on fulfilling real or implied advancements and additional coils on a ten thousand dollar detector. It is simply ridiculous.

Likely the golden bean counters at Minelab didnt want 2300 sales to drop with introduction of a 7000 small coil, and put a stop to that ever being released.

• Like 3

If you read ML’s tech literature, you will find lots of stuff about the benefits of the digital link vs analogue between the coil and control box. I’m sure that there are a number of advantages, hence the presence of the chip in the coil. It isn’t ALL about blocking the aftermarket.

None of this answers the complaint on the lack of original ML coils however.

• Like 1

Look outside the box for a minute before casting judgment! I’m not trying to defend Minelab’s stance if it was just corporate greed we were talking about here, instead think about things logically for a bit before going down the ASS U & ME path!

Firstly why did it take so long for the GPZ19 coil to come to market? I can tell you why because I was there and I know first hand how much effort went into getting it electronically right and also how many Engineers were involved. Minelab cannot just pop off and throw a few coils together like has been done with the X coils. As I have said in other posts the X coils are nowhere near consistent enough for Minelab to even consider them saleable from their standards point of view. It took MANY MANY hours of R&D to get the GPZ 19 coil up and running properly (weight issues aside), this meant people were taken away from other major projects to do this, because of electronic constraints/requirements the coil ended up being heavy.

The GPZ has always been about depth on large gold that was what it was designed for right from the start, but it just so happens ZVT is also very good on the smaller gold which is more plentiful thanks to the inclusion of High Yield, which BTW was created much later in the development path due to the big gold not regularly coming to light during testing. Believe it or not Minelab are just as much in the dark about how much actual gold is out there in the ground as we are, so it was a wait and see approach on how well the GPZ actually did around the world. 

To develop a coil for the GPZ takes time and a lot of R&D dollars, but worse it requires man power which is the big bottle neck at Minelab due to so many different projects going on at once. Minelab are innovators, they spend the big bucks on R&D not rebadging and marketing the same old same old year after year! I feel people should be a little less critical of the way Minelab do things especially when you look at other metal detector manufacturers around the globe! As it stands even if Minelab were open to allowing acces to their dongles they would not currently allow the X coils to have them due to electronic inconsistencies. IMHO anyone making an aftermarket coil for the GPZ would have to lift their game considerably before gaining access to the dongle was ever an option.

JP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I will probably never own a GPZ, but do own the GPX. My perspective on this, however unimportant, is that Minelab ignoring its customers only deepens the riff. I can not believe they can not make a coil work within 6-8 months. I think it's all management that is the issue. It's rarely the engineering side. Whatever the reason, they do not technically owe anyone an answer. However, we do not owe them our loyalty either. Loyalty is earned by trust. Right now I wish that the next generation of PI detectors would be released by Minelab and Fisher. Then I could choose who I trust more to get my money.

• Like 1