phoenix

I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

I guess we can wonder all we like but Minelab are very good at 🤐 So we may never know & most likely never will. We can only do what we can do with what is on offer to us. Right now it is what is happening with these X coils & doing the adapter plug. People will always buy the latest in detectors no matter the cost to get that edge to be first in best dressed before they become mainstream. That is the addiction with gold fever. Until that "new" gold detector comes out from Minelab, or whoever, then X coils & adapter plugs it is. They obviously are doing the trick to scratch that itch.👍

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

• Like 4

Thats the problem no competition, they locked it all up with Patents

• Like 2

Re minelab putting chip in coil conection, they were obviously hoping to or are still going to produce more coils.   Look at there previous machines, there is so many after market coils that can plug in and go and look at the profits that they lost by not producing them themselves. Business sense tells me that if you develop a product you want to make the most out of it. If I owned minelab I would want to make as many $$$'s as possible out of my investment.

But for us users we always want more benifits, power, depth, whatever so we try and modify to our advantage.  I for one never thought twice about cutting my lead coil and trying a competitor made coil. And very happy as well.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Travelergold said:

I for one never thought twice about cutting my lead coil and trying a competitor made coil.

Sure, trying a competitor coil is what it's all about - having to risk your machine in any way seems odd but I'm all for these x-coils if they are the only game in town.

• Like 3

One of the things I learned from my trip to Australia is that they, like many Americans like to modify things.  I could see this in the cars and equipment and trailers and agricultural machinery.  This spirit of modification and innovation has to have come in part from the gold miners coming from all over the world with their own ideas and then adapting to the bush realities.  The same thing is happening in WA now and will continue forever.

We wonder why there is not 'open source' access to Minelab technology when it seems to have made the computer world bigger and more competitive.  I think Minelab might be trying to act more like Apple rather than Android.  They are different business models.  Apple has few business partners and Android has many.

I'd like to have Minelab open up the Z and also make available their next technology.  Licensing would be great if China and other knockoff countries would license rather than steal which is the case now.  Innovation can also turn into theft and loss of shareholder and company value if protections are not considered.

Are they pleased by the Xcoil success?  Probably not but with modifications to their existing technology as Phrunt has said it may give a longer life to the Z.  Do I think they have an Xcoil on their test benches right now?  Yes.  Could they make a deal with the Russians?  Yes.

Will any of these things happen?  Who knows.

• Like 5

Guest AussieDigs

Minelab still yet to produce coils for the Z? Bit late to the party! They should have been popping them out years ago which would also solve some warranty concerns.

Minelab obviously have their reasons which we’ll continue to shake our head at.

What metal detector company should Minelab imitate? Do we have a better example?  Are any of them producing too many great machines at a discount price?

Some of us are making lemonade and some of us are just doing business with the tools we have.

Until we can become successful alchemists we are living in the age of the best metal detectors ever made.  Let's encourage the companies to be even better with the promise of "we'll buy it if you make a better machine. "

• Like 3

4 years ago it was sometimes hard to ask a question that might be construed by some as questioning ML products or business. Often required was a preface - "I love my Minelab, but..." in order to get a serious discussion.

Today we now have photo montages of instructions on how to hardware hack and bypass their IP security to run a product which has apparantly bypassed their licensing department in a way not so different from some Chinese business practices. Except we do it for them. 

Things can sure change quick with the prospect of a little better performance.

I'm curious, is the DOD design patented too as part of some of their broader GPZ patents? Or is it a gray area? Might that be why they have not gained licensing? If so, is this Russian company doing anything so different than the Chinese do with IP theft? I mean, I'm buying an X Coil too just like a lot of people because there is literally no other option, but as much as we don't hear from Minelab we've heard equally little about this actual Russian company. I mean, I'll do what I please with my GPZ since I paid for it, but still, so many unknowns... Should these things be discussed or are they irrelevant?

Absurdity abounds.

However, I'm reminded a little of the fight in court here in the US involving farmers against John Deere and the right to modify and repair equipment you purchase, plus have access to firmware and not be locked out of it. We may soon have legislation saying exactly what is and isn't right there, some states I believe already do.

• Like 5

It's entirely possible to love one's MineLab detector and disagree the MineLab company-level of customer communication. It doesn't make sense to be so opaque. In the line of business I worked in we tried to provide the answers before the questions needed to be asked because sooner or later trust becomes a big part of the ongoing business equation.

• Like 4

Would love to try a Nugget finder coil 17x11 on my zed. I went from a 5000 series with an older series nugget finder coil. Great combo and found plenty. But now im going over areas ive already walked over and picking up what I missed. Just wish the standard zed coils are a bit lighter. 

• Like 4