I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

Heh, what do you folks do with your Zs, mine gets dropped and belted on rocks, used to beat snakes to death, bounces around in the back of the ute whilst bush bashing, used as a brush cutter through heavy grass etc etc...………..and on the odd occasion its coils near the ground finds an odd bit of gold. Must be a nation of Tangles?

PS …..Tangles was the affectionate name given to one of our favorite test cricket sons (he helped beat The Poms & Kiwis often), who went onto even bigger fame when he wrote the book "How to Hypnotize Chooks" ?

http://www.maxwalker.com.au/writer-max/book-shelf/how-to-hypnotise-cooks-by-max-walker/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Heh, what do you folks do with your Zs, mine gets dropped and belted on rocks, used to beat snakes to death, bounces around in the back of the ute whilst bush bashing, used as a brush cutter through heavy grass etc etc...

Yeh I don`t set out to knock mine about but I don`t wrap it up in cotton wool either. I don`t have any covers on it, I don`t think I have ever cleaned it, I just use it. Mine looks "well used".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, klunker said:

I must admit mine has survived falling from great heights several times. But it was in my hand each time.

That is the reason you have forgotten so much!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, mn90403 said:

That is the reason you have forgotten so much!

who did you say you were? I don't remember you. Did Mr. Herschback give you permission to be here?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Kiwi's are the same...if not more so. The old number 8 fencing wire & baling twine mentality has fixed many a thing. When you are geographically isolated & out in the middle of nowhere you just have to improvise with what you have at hand. Not like you can drive to the nearest little hick town & expect they have what you "really" need.

JW ? 

I knew everyone was going to get into the act of innovation.

My grandfather was a homesteader in North Dakota.  They were 'Sod Busters' and it was a long way to a one room school and a store.  He forged many replacement parts for his horse pulled equipment.  He went on to shipbuilding on the west coast for WWII because he was too old for the service that 3 of his children were fighting in.

A proper shop is a must if you wanted to make some extra money and keep your own equipment working.

• Like 2

Tis that pioneering, innovation, jack of all trades etc. that makes WA gold fields, FNQ, NTs centre, etc most appealing to visitors and not just for the gold. I fortunately have soaked in that remoteness all my life, my area has only a small % of the population it had during the mineral rush era of the late 80s early 90s. The last 10 years the boom in online business shopping has eased our big problem of not having that shop close by, tis just a matter of buying ahead. 

But as Reg has pointed out whilst some areas of OZ are still "pioneers" country, our home grown metal detector Company has shed its lambs wool and is a true International Company that we no longer understand. Whilst I bitch about that change, I take my hat off to ML as it is one of the few OZ Cos that lead the world in technology. Coz I`m going to RusX coil some gold with my OzZ, Y not.

• Like 5

Anything like a patient or or other protection preventing  ml from reverse engineering the x coil and selling their own with chip?

• Like 1

Let's just say that the XCoils are modifying Minelab's business model already.  They work from all reports here.  Until now there has been no alternative. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When, if ever, will ML introduce a smaller coil for GPZ Obviously it would be sacrificing depth, however there are terrains that dictate smaller coils for navigation.  I, and I expect many others, would love to understand more about this issue.

I can’t believe that ML hasn’t tested smaller coils on this platform, is there some technical conflict, like ZVT that is limiting this option.  It seems crazy that at least one of the many coil mfg’s hasn’t filled this void - unless they have agreements to not do such with ML, or is there a connectivity issue such as a proprietary chip that ML implants, and won’t share (I can understand that).

• Like 2