phoenix

I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

56 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Could be lots of things but from a consumer standpoint it’s all just excuses. I could care less about why, I just wish they would do something about it.

I too am over it from a consumer standpoint. There is no excuse for not following through on fulfilling real or implied advancements and additional coils on a ten thousand dollar detector. It is simply ridiculous.

It doesn't help people with the previous models like the 4500 and 5000 have more coils than they could ever need.  How Minelab thought they could get away with a $10,000 detector that only has two coils as their flagship detector makes no sense.  I think it's time they let go and just started either making the adapter and selling it as an accessory item.  If they do this you watch how quick Nugget Finder, Detech and Coiltek start pumping out coils.

Alternatively licensing Coiltek or ideally every coil manufacturer to make coils and providing them the chip.  They're doing themselves no favors with sentiment among their customer base by blocking out aftermarket coil manufacturers when they've proven they're not going to do anything about coil options themselves.  I like Steve would love to solid 10x5" for my Equinox, I'd also love a 6.5x3.5" solid for it as it's insane on tiny gold, imagine it with that.

I admit I would have put a whole lot more effort into buying a GPZ if it wasn't so restricted.  I don't see it as a viable choice as there is always the risk of a replacement coming out and the replacement having more coil options from all the complaining from the metal detecting community over the past few years.  I'd rather wait and see and if the new one comes out sometime,  if is not what I'd want I could always buy a second hand GPZ from Australia with the price falls from the new model and get some X-coils for it.  I'm not that desperate to own one.  Swinging the GPZ with the 14" coil in our area is a massive compromise, it's not suited at all for many of the places we need to detect.

Some king kahuna at Minelab has decided they'd chip all their current modern range of detectors coils to prevent aftermarket coils, this would make complete sense if they were intending to make a range of coils for us to buy yet they haven't and don't.  Even the Gold Monster has a chip to prevent aftermarket coils, ridiculous.  

If a manufacturer like Nokta comes out with a detector on par with the Minelab of choice for someone you watch how quick that person walks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likely the golden bean counters at Minelab didnt want 2300 sales to drop with introduction of a 7000 small coil, and put a stop to that ever being released.

• Like 3

If you read ML’s tech literature, you will find lots of stuff about the benefits of the digital link vs analogue between the coil and control box. I’m sure that there are a number of advantages, hence the presence of the chip in the coil. It isn’t ALL about blocking the aftermarket.

None of this answers the complaint on the lack of original ML coils however.

• Like 1

Look outside the box for a minute before casting judgment! I’m not trying to defend Minelab’s stance if it was just corporate greed we were talking about here, instead think about things logically for a bit before going down the ASS U & ME path!

Firstly why did it take so long for the GPZ19 coil to come to market? I can tell you why because I was there and I know first hand how much effort went into getting it electronically right and also how many Engineers were involved. Minelab cannot just pop off and throw a few coils together like has been done with the X coils. As I have said in other posts the X coils are nowhere near consistent enough for Minelab to even consider them saleable from their standards point of view. It took MANY MANY hours of R&D to get the GPZ 19 coil up and running properly (weight issues aside), this meant people were taken away from other major projects to do this, because of electronic constraints/requirements the coil ended up being heavy.

The GPZ has always been about depth on large gold that was what it was designed for right from the start, but it just so happens ZVT is also very good on the smaller gold which is more plentiful thanks to the inclusion of High Yield, which BTW was created much later in the development path due to the big gold not regularly coming to light during testing. Believe it or not Minelab are just as much in the dark about how much actual gold is out there in the ground as we are, so it was a wait and see approach on how well the GPZ actually did around the world. 

To develop a coil for the GPZ takes time and a lot of R&D dollars, but worse it requires man power which is the big bottle neck at Minelab due to so many different projects going on at once. Minelab are innovators, they spend the big bucks on R&D not rebadging and marketing the same old same old year after year! I feel people should be a little less critical of the way Minelab do things especially when you look at other metal detector manufacturers around the globe! As it stands even if Minelab were open to allowing acces to their dongles they would not currently allow the X coils to have them due to electronic inconsistencies. IMHO anyone making an aftermarket coil for the GPZ would have to lift their game considerably before gaining access to the dongle was ever an option.

JP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for your reply JP, it makes a lot of sense, In your opinion though would a company like Nugget Finder or Coiltek be able to produce coils for the GPZ up to Minelab's standards? I'm just wondering why they haven't done so.  If all it required was meeting the quality standards Minelab require to allow them access to a patch lead/license of using the chip you would think they would be working their hardest to be able to do it mainly due to the massive market waiting for coils, big $$$$.  Maybe they are?

It seems more like they're not allowed to do it though than just meeting standards.  Of course I'm just speculating.  The X-coils guy has got pretty close, you'd think NF or Coiltek could take the few extra steps having more resources.

The ideal thing would be if Minelab is too busy to work on coils for any of the detectors, not just the GPZ to work together with an existing manufacturer like Coiltek to get something to market, maybe the costs of doing so like you said are just too high to make it viable.

There would be massive money for the first to market with Minelab endorsed aftermarket GPZ coils though, also imagine the first aftermarket Equinox coils, they'd sell masses of them.

Personally I'm more concerned about aftermarket coils for the GM1000 and Equinox.  It would be Christmas for me if Nel or someone was making Equinox coils.

Mars attempted to make GM1000 coils but hit a roadblock when they discovered the chip inside.  I was disappointed then as I thought I was going to be getting a Mars GM coil for a while there.  They emailed me saying they've ordered a GM1000 and are looking into making coils for it.  A few months later I got another email saying they're unable to make coils for it after examining the standard coils.

Also Rick, a digital link in a coil via an IC doesn't stop aftermarket coils, firmware on the detector communicating with an encrypted chip does.

That is all very good & well JP...but what about the many people that forked out their hard earned $$, me included, thinking that a smaller coil was coming from Minelab because they said there was going to be one?? Don't get me wrong. I have loved every Minelab detector, except the SDC 2300 & I put that down to our insanely mild ground conditions, that I have owned. We were so spoilt with the GP/GPX platform that just got better & better. The BIG bonus being all the multitudes of coils that became available over the years. Coils that would fit & were exchangeable between all those models. I don't believe we will ever see the likes of that kind of availability in a gold detector ever again with just so many "choices" of settings & coil combinations in one machine. Not from Minelab any way. Hope I am wrong. I usually am. :rolleyes:

Everybody wants the choice of at least one small/smaller coil to get into places that a large coil just cant get. My point being, I went out to a spot in the weekend I had given up on with the Zed & ML 14" coil as it was no longer producing for me & there of course were spots I just could get that coil into, a certain make of 10" coil got me 16 bits of gold. Was I happy about that? You bet.?

Best of luck out there

JW ?

• Like 4

There’s always the possibility that they just couldn’t get the bloody things to work! Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

10" coil got me 16 bits of gold. Was I happy about that? You bet.?

JW ?

Awesome, that means I'm due to find a bit. ?

• Haha 1

Nobody is stopping MINELAB from explaining the situation, it would stop a lot of speculation.  Their biggest downfall at the moment is lack of communication with their customers.  A lot of companies have a "social media" person these days not just for marketing but for customer relations.  Someone trained in dealing with people, including difficult people like me ?

Nokta comes on and talks to customers with complaints and queries, it gains them a lot of respect.  How cool would it be to have a Minelab rep come on here and answer questions every once in a while.

• Like 6