phoenix

I Don`t Understand What Minelab Is Doing

I will add I spoke to an engineer at a Metal Detector manufacturer some time ago, we discussed what I was talking about above.  He confirmed to me what I said in my statement above is also the case where he works.  I obviously won't name names as I'm sure his employer wouldn't be too happy with that.

It's time we gathered the troops and marched on Minelab's headquarters ?

907733501_Wewantcoils.jpg.bc922c624840935309a76b67ceb090e0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

After having looked at this whole thread, Ive seen 2 glaring gaps in the posts, and from my own perspective they need to be said. I watched a good coil technician build a 10" GPZ coil way back in 2017. He deconstructed a 14" ML coil, worked out the parameters, made a patch block (not a lead, coz he was only doing bench testing at the time) and built 4 prototypes of varying merit until he built one that worked really well and was field tested extensively. THIS TOOK HIM 2 WEEKS......one man. On a technical standpoint, there is zero excuse for ML NOT to be able to build numerous designs OR give the task to either of the major coil players in Oz OR at least another 4 guys who are known to be top notch coil technicians. Indeed, both of the big players are logically rumored to have made several GPZ coil prototypes in the past couple years for just such a time. Again, NO EXCUSES.  OK, 1st statement made.

2nd statement, and another really obvious one, a large coil selection SELLS DETECTORS. The more variable and adaptable a detector is, the more likely it is to be sold. At this stage in the GPZ's life-span anyone with a logical view of the detector industry should glaringly see that leftover warehouse/floor stock of GPZ's would sell better with more coil selection. With the GPZ about to be replaced, this would be an obvious time for ML  to 'allow' coils to be made. I wish I could afford to buy a GPZ just so I could join in now.....

• Like 3

Obviously I haven't been paying attention to all this for the years you guys have, but I've dealt with many companies over the years. It's like minelab has never heard of customer relations and has nobody assigned to the job. There has been a group of extremely loyal customers on here frustrated for the entire time I've been here and not one single word out of minelab, unless we count Jonathan. That's just weird.  

• Like 4

Marketing runs the show - everywhere. Minelab has always particularly been annoying for its silence in the wake of honest, interested queries about pretty logical and rather small questions. There is nothing more dismissive either from a person or a corporation than silence.

When a lone person, or a smaller company can make a functioning coil that broadens the GPZ's range with no association from MineLab, it flies in the face of saying ML is shorthanded for engineers or R&D funds. Expecting people who understand the breadth of Codan's business range to believe they are short of either is silly. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

Awesome, that means I'm due to find a bit. ?

That's exactly what I thought to myself when I found the 10th bit.:laugh: Going by your 10 to 1 ratio.

JW ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Norvic said:

Steve your opinion is gold on here, and I am sure that`s not just my opinion.

Certainly my opinion as well. ?

Best of luck out there

JW ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of days ago I had gotten a call back from Minelab about my Equinox shafts which are going to be replaced based upon the serial number of the unit.  I have one of the first to be delivered in the States so I guess all are being replaced with a new set of shafts sent just because you call them.  Good on you Minelab.

They did this even without my registration being official.  They completed it on this call.

While I had a Minelab ear I asked about any coils coming out for the 7000.  They know about the aftermarket coils and the buzz.  They also take an official position of 'no comment' at this time.  They have no official information about any coil in development but they know we all want one that is smaller.  They have received many calls and questions about them.

If we don't hear something in a couple of months some of us should show up at Bill Southern's outing and ask Minelab about the future of the 7000.

https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/34198-fall-outing-2019/#comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They lied to us the first time ML showed up to the outing.  I'd be surprised if it were any different this year.

By the way, are you making it up for the outing?

Good question Andy but I think so.  I want to see the X!

This time I'd like to hookup with someone and stick with them for the weekend.

Mitchel

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure if I'm going to make it or not.  Probably only there for a day, if I do.  Hope to see you there.  We'll have to see if ML says anything different.