XP Deus ByeBye, GB-2 & TDI-SL Hello

It is not that the DEUS is not durable. It is that it seems delicate and so it is a perception thing. I found myself not wanting to toss it in the back of a truck to roll around like I might do with other detectors. I can appreciate why so many people like the DEUS but like the V3i it is massive feature overkill if all you want to do is look for gold nuggets. That is why I sold mine to Ivan!

Exactly, well said Steve

Ivan

I was was only responding to the statement that it was called having a "fragile frame".

Try that test with a GB.

You want me to put my Gold Bug headphones in a fish bowl?

Sorry Hobo, just messing with you. Technically speaking the Deus coil IS the metal detector, and as such is nearly indestructible. The controller or headphones with integrated controller are not the detector itself, and can be stowed separately and safely.

Years ago I dropped a original Gold Bug in tne Yuba river, fished it out and opened it up, sat it on a rock in the sun. A hour later it was working just fine.

We did the same with a Gold Bug 2. Dropped it in the creek, killed it dead. Dried it out, worked fine and never had a problem with it. Did the same with a GP 3000 off a beaver dam - thankfully it was not turned on or would probably have been a different ending. But dried it out with no ill effects. Fresh water is not likely to hurt a detector if it is properly dried in short order.

I even flooded a Surfmaster PI with salt water, flushed it out with fresh water, and dried it with a hair dryer, and all was fine.

The GB2 must be the longest running still current detector ever on the market.

• Like 1

I did the same thing with a Surf Master, it leaked in salt water while it was on, I dried it & it was ok.

I started out with the gb2 and really like the machine ...haven't found much gold with it but like the challenge of the sound only deal... Still learning the sounds... Honestly since I got the Nokta fors gold I dont use the gb2 anymore because being a newbie to metal detecting I'm still easily stoked because I find gold almost every time with the Nokta....I will say that my gb2 can take way more abuse than the Nokta....I too use the gb2 coil as a small excavating tool sometimes and it takes the abuse pretty decent...

Will the Nokta find the grainsize pcs. and smaller of gold as well as the GB2?

The 71 kHz Gold Bug 2 is the best there is for tiny gold in my opinion, though the various White's Goldmaster models and the GMT come extremely close.

The FORS are more comparable to the 19 kHz Gold Bug Pro which trades slightly less hot on small stuff for much better depth on larger gold. The Gold Bug 2 does not penetrate well for depth on larger gold in mineralized ground.

• Like 2