Audio Signatures And Sounds

Propjob

I mentioned this last year and will re address the subject.  Has anyone compiled information of real signature so as one can listen ti clipping and signatures that a re funky in the different tone modes.  Although I have been a detectorist for years, many of the new detectors sounds tell more of a story than some are used to.  I am wondering if anyone has such a compilation.   It seems many love to post their finds on you tube but forget that the sound is just as important.  But they keep the headsets on which does not help the cause.. We are used in most cases to what some coins and jewelty sound like, but a clipped ring id different.  Perhaps some one might know of such a tool.    As always thanks for helping.

PROP

• Like 2

IMO - This one really comes down to personal experience, recovering targets and reinforcing in your brain's muscle memory what the detector was telling you.  I can't imagine just learning this by seeing pics of finds next to some sound signature or audio file.  Clive Clynick does a good job of trying to provide some general sketches of tone forms for various target types in his Equinox guides, but it is basically generalized.  The variability in environmental factors makes approaches to learning tones of limited value.

• Like 3

Hi Guy's

I see where your coming at Chase I would agree with that, and there are some good clips out there (Gigmaster and others). However due to the videos, the trash hits are left out. One of the things that I have discovered is totally deteriorated metal buried in the sand that throws me for a loop.  I have just ( in the last year) been trying to learn beach hunting.  Spent many years in the pasture or parks. That is why we rely on you seasoned vets. Just seems though I am missing something and waiting for the magic moment.

Prop 

I remember when the Sovereign was the hot ticket to have, there was an audio CD for sale one could purchase to familiarize yourself with the audio sounds of various trash and good targets.  All that is pretty well conveyed on various YouTube videos.  On most of my Equinox YouTube videos I share what the audio sounds like on targets as well as the TID. 

Problem is, and possibly why some don't take the time to do it is because it does take time.  If I'm hunting a remote site, my time's limited, but if I start making interesting finds, I'll generally start recording them, depending on my time crunch, I may or may not have the time to turn off my wireless headphones, rescan the target to show the TID and let viewers listen to the audio.  Then you have to repair your wireless headphones and continue detecting.   It doesn't sound like much, but if I'm at a good old site, with limited time, every time I do this, equates to less targets I'm going to dig at the end of the day and that next target may just be THE ONE haha

I guess , after reading  part or Clyde’s book and what Chase said make sense,@ I need to be more astute at looking at sizes, and if the location is more suitable for good targets as opposed to a locacation that is loaded with shell casings.  I did get Andy’s book yesterday and am tempted to dig into that.  I can only read so much of Clyde’s book before my head  spins and eyeballs come out.  The larger font in Andy’s book looks to be more amenable to adding eyeballs.

Prop

• Like 2

On 6/18/2019 at 9:15 AM, Chase Goldman said:

IMO - This one really comes down to personal experience, recovering targets and reinforcing in your brain's muscle memory what the detector was telling you.

So you're saying there's no shortcut?  I guess that's one of the things that makes metal detecting fun -- the challenges.  There are so many variables when detecting.  We (hope I can speak for others...) tend to view the world in as few dimensions as possible, and that means too few.  Dave Johnson makes a sobering point in this monograph:

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/SearchcoilfieldshapeApril2012.pdf

There he states:  to say what happens when you swing a target past the searchcoil of a simple motion discriminator requires computation of at least 26 variables.

I emphasized 'at least' because up to that point Dave has only assumed a single target.  Add just one nearby target (with its own 26 variables) and....  I think I get the picture, and it's not a simple one.

For a long time I didn't even understand what you guys are talking about.  I hear a tone, what else is there?  Eventually I wondered if those of us who never experienced the analog detector era missed out, since not only were the signals rich, but you had to rely a lot more on what you heard, not what you saw.

In every endeavor worth pursuing, there is a threshold to cross which takes a person from an intermediate performer to an expert.  In metal detecting, this may be the one.  I know I'm not there yet.

• Like 1

That is so true.  Being from the older Garrett and Explorer crowds you are on point with decent tones.  Ironically this gets you thinking about target shapes as well as trash shapes.  For myself another learning phase.  What did they say " It used to be easy"  I'm used to new beginnings.  I read and saved Daves article, it does open the eyes.  Quick question, have you acquired the 6" coil?  and how would that fair at beach?

Prop

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Propjob said:

...Have you acquired the 6" coil?  and how would that fair at beach?

I'm sure someone else can answer the 2nd part since I'm not a beach hunter.  I have both the 6" and 12"x15" coils but except for tiny nugget hunting with the 6" in the Nevada desert I haven't used either one much.  The larger coil's extra weight bothers my back.  I can see using that in a survey, for example when searching a large plot for an old, long ago raized dwelling.

I think the 6" coil has the usual advantages (less ground and less trash in the field of view, increased sensitivity to tiny targets). However the stock 11" is so good at allowing me to distinguish good targets among moderate trash that its extra coverage leads me to use it most of the time.  But thanks for reminding me -- I need to put some more time in on the two accessory coils.

• Like 1

I have both accessory coils and keep returning to the stock as it balances all the trade offs (depth, coverage, separation, small target sensitivity, EMI susceptibility, and weight) best IMO.  At the beach, coverage is king (except that coil drag comes into play in the water) so I am going to use the 11” or possibly the 12x15 but not the 6 - that would literally drive me nuts.