Audio Signatures And Sounds

Propjob

I don't have as much experience with detectors as some (maybe all) or you have, but in my view a tone that sounds a certain way to a person may not sound exactly the same to another.  If fact, probably most of us as we age become partially tone-deaf. Each person has his or her own way to interpret the target sounds a detector makes, and this is something that takes time and practice.  The ground composition, hello around the target, target metallic composition, and so on, may be different at one location compared to the next, or even in the same location depending on soil wetness versus dryness.

Some of the analog detectors of the past incorporated a series of target tones.  For example, the Teknetics 8500 produced from the late '70s to early '80s had rotary control knobs and switches plus a gage with a pointer, and also target tones much like the detectors of today.  There were low tones from iron, all the way up to high conductive targets such as small silver coins or large ones.  A soda can, specially one with the top or bottom up, would produce a high-pitch sound ?

Back then when looking for silver coins in upstate NY, I would only listen to the high pitch sounds the 8500 made, although clad dimes, quarters, and dollars also produced high tones that were not as high as the ones for silver coins.  I see certain similarities with the sounds the Equinox makes and the ones of the old Teknetics detector I used in the past.  By the way, I felt that I was always learning new sounds whenever I detected new grounds with the 8500, and feel the same way when detecting with the Equinox.

Summary: I don't think that a generic compilation of target sounds or tones I can listen to will help me much. Since I am old and don't have too much time to waste, I am better of by listening to what the Equinox has to say.

• Like 1

Thanks , all points pondered, I can agree that there are a number of factors that would change tones including machine settings and operator perception.....guilty......!  I do plan to try  working an old pond at a scout camp that is loaded with trash and....tics.  On the six inch, I am afraid that I will feel like Chase.  Use to have one on a Garrett and didn’t,use  much.

Prop

PS  Got Andy’s new manual and looking for some time to go through that.

• Like 1