My First Spanish Silver

Dan(NM)

You have been killing it out there!!!! 

Congrats on your first Spanish silver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations Dan on finding a bucket lister! Amazingly rich site that has yielded consistently to your workings all year. 

• Thanks 1

Nice work once again...and all the buttons are in excellent shape! The detecting gods are on your side thats for sure lol

strick

• Thanks 1

Three Dragoon buttons in one day would be unusual by itself, but then you get a (silver) Real on top of it!  Nicely done, Dan.  You and your friend have a sweet hunting spot, obviously.

BTW, the US didn't really convert to US coins exclusively until late 1850's, and that was in the East.  Then the Civil War happened....  I'm not downplaying your Spanish coin find, just pointing out that foreign coins circulated freely in the US for the first half of the 19th Century.  The fact that Dragoon regiments disappeared just before the CW confirms what you already know -- that your site was occupied prior to that.  The Mexican American War (1846-48, which among other 'acquisitions' included today's California) was probably the sweet spot for Dragoon buttons.  Could your site be that old?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's got to be a rarity in New Mexico, congrats!

I've only dug a handful of reales, their a lot of fun to dig!  I have my eye on an escudo next :smile:

• Thanks 1