Coiltek Elite Mono Coils

I’m in the market for a new coil for my GPX 5k since the others have seen better days etc. 

I’ve seen some good reviews regarding the coiltek elite series and had a couple of questions regarding them. 

I detect in the sierras with pretty mild ground for the most part. The gold ranges in size but, generally under 5 grams and pretty rough/prickly. I know the 5k doesn’t handle that kind of gold as well as say the Zed, but my buddy has one of those. 

My big question is whether to go with the 14” mono or the 17-11” elliptical. Any advice here would be appreciated as I hope to make this the go to main coil. 

And if there is another coil I should be considering as well please share your opinion. 

Thanks!

I`ve not used any of the flat wound coils because they came out after I bought the 7000, but generally the round coils go a bit deeper than the ellipticals so unless you are going for ground coverage I reckon the 14 round would be the go.
Again I`ve not used any of them, but I have heard some very good things from a few people about the NF 12" round Evolution. Dave

• Like 1

As Phonix pointed out you will get better depth with the 14" round. Having said that I know the the 17" x 11" will punch down deep as well having helped dig out a 5oz piece from cap rock at a measured 25 inches.

For its size the 14" is very sensitive on small sub gram bits having seen the results of someone using one. I've used the NF 12" Evo and can attest to its ability to pick up small bits and have dug a 2g specimen from about a foot here in Western Australia.

Mark ?

The new flat wound coils can start to play up on hot days as the ground heats up, I found that out while detecting on days with a temp range in the mid 30's where at times I had revert back to standard coils for the hottest part of the day. The 14 Elite is a great coil just like nugget finder Evo coils but with the advantage of a pressure release valve to help combat hot conditions. If the gold tends to be smaller like you mentioned under 5 grams with shallower ground, the 12" evo would be my pick on the Gpx. 

• Like 1

Yep, I agree with Joe, if a lot of the gold is rough and prickly you want a smaller coil for that added sensitivity. But, my preference would be a 14x9" (NF, have not tried the Coiltek version). 

• Like 2

I have the 17x11 and it was my go to coil for quite a while. Punches deep, easy to pin point and is sensitive on small bits.

That being said, the 14 will punch a little deeper but isnt as easy to pinpoint and maneuver in between grasses/bushes/rocks.

There isnt one coil that will do everything so you have to decide what feature gives the most advantage and go for that coil.

I also have the 14x9 Evo (as mentioned by Nenad) and its great for smaller prickly bits.

• Like 1