X Coil Connection Problems

Trent:

We are about 6hrs away from the nearest McDonalds here Mitchel, no electronic stores out this way.

When I said people had asked about things 'here' I didn't mean about on the forum but HERE in the United States.  Many of us can't solder or have the soldering equipment although we could go to Harbor Freight and get that stuff for under $20!

Steve probably did it right.  

So ... there is still a problem I hope you have fixed already.

Mitchel

When I make the patch leads I also put another plug on to the original coil. That way it can still be used. Have you tried the original coil with the patch lead? If it works then the fault is with the x coil. If not then either the patch lead is wired incorrectly or the ic in the plug has been damaged.

regards Pat

• Like 2

I recall JP mentioning this issue in the past but this is the first user I've seen post about it. I dont watch other forums, are other people having this problem too? How common is it?

My original Zed 14" coil housing got damaged.  It still worked and detected gold, but it was getting really touchy in desert weeds and undergrowth.  I used the coil connector from that coil to make the patch lead.  I followed all the directions on soldering, but the first chance to check it was when I got to WA, as the new X coil was waiting for me out here.  When it wouldn't work out here, Trent gave the connection a pretty good going over visually and then checked the continuity,  So, I don't have the original coil and the corresponding 5 pin female connection to make the necessary compatibility check.  

Dave mentioned that he had a spare patch lead, as soon as he surfaces hopefully we can do some swapping to check as to whether it is the coil or the patch lead.  

• Like 1

On 29 05 JP wrote "Or it could be because a “Coil Not Connected” problem is too scary to deal with?????"

Apparently he is aware of the problem.    I hope you get this problem sorted quickly   Dave

4 hours ago, Condor said:

My original Zed 14" coil housing got damaged.  It still worked and detected gold, but it was getting really touchy in desert weeds and undergrowth.  I used the coil connector from that coil to make the patch lead.  I followed all the directions on soldering, but the first chance to check it was when I got to WA, as the new X coil was waiting for me out here.  When it wouldn't work out here, Trent gave the connection a pretty good going over visually and then checked the continuity,  So, I don't have the original coil and the corresponding 5 pin female connection to make the necessary compatibility check.  

Dave mentioned that he had a spare patch lead, as soon as he surfaces hopefully we can do some swapping to check as to whether it is the coil or the patch lead.  

Does your Z work with Dennis' coil or any other Z coil in the camp?

17 minutes ago, davsgold said:

Ok, I have been out bush, and out of phone reception for about a week, I can try and work out with Condor somewhere to meet up and try my patch lead on the coil or try another coil on his machine with my patch lead, etc.

That way it will determine what is causing the problem.

regards dave 

You might have to meet up pretty close Dave, I don’t know how far the old Ute that we got for them will make it ?