jrbeatty

Gold Hitting Record $AU Highs

Looks like instability in the Persian Gulf has had one positive outcome with gold topping AU$2000 for the first time.

Certainly will run higher but may need to consolidate first. Traders taking profits may also push it down:

2a-aud-us-d-Large.gif

• Like 3

Well has been going nowhere for awhile, have been putting off a smelt, tis time.

• Like 3

Yea, me too.  I must have about 30 nuggets I need to get smelted to cash in while the price is high.

IMG_20190402_090329.thumb.jpg.662631630db4f48a7c7ec219061f29f5.jpg

Slap enough of these puppies together and I might have a good melt result.

• Like 4

I remember gold being around the $500 mark before I got into detecting, we use to sluice all week just making enough to keep going. On one trip my prospecting mate thought he could make more money if he smelted his gold he found that week to make fake nuggets. It ended in disaster, he poured the gold into a jar of water & it exploded on him. I had tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard, but unfortunately for old mate we never found his gold... none of us owned a detector at the time! 

• Like 3

I would like to deliver a long dissertation on world monetary and economic dynamics for you folks but I'm going prospecting. With prices up like this I loose a a lot less money mining.

• Haha 3

I don't sell my gold.   My hope is that the price rises so that I break even.  Sometimes the gold found won't pay for gas or even the caffeine that keeps you awake on the long drive home.  But I still LOVE it

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      Australian Coin Hunters in the future are in for some quite amusing finds, see the new range of $1 coins about to hit the streets
      See the story and full collection here, a new Aussie themed coin for every letter of the alphabet.
      https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/australian-mint-and-australia-post-release-coins-to-celebrate-meat-pies-weetbix-esky/news-story/ccb2bfa5b305746d4e20186aa62b6f92
      Pretty cool idea, I'd like one of each

A whole new and more valuable collectable craze is about to sweep across Australia with the announcement of the Great Aussie Coin Hunt.
      Australia Post and the Royal Aus­tralian Mint will release millions of $1 coins from today featuring classic Australian themes such as the Hills hoist, a quokka and an Esky.
      There will be a different design for each letter of the alphabet with the first six available now.
      A will feature Australia Post, F for footy, I for Iced VoVo, M for meat pie, S for surf life saving and X for the tiny township of Xantippe.
      Bless!Source:Supplied
      A few Philip Seymour Frothmans one ice.Source:Supplied
      New coins will then be released every Monday until October 21, culminating in Z for the summer staple Zooper Dooper.
      But there’s a catch.
      The only way to get your hands on the iconic coins will be to make a purchase at an Australia Post store and receive the limited edition $1 coins in the change.
      The humble meat pie.Source:Supplied
      “We want everyone to get involved,” Australia Post consumer and community executive general manager Nicole Sheffield said.
      “Not only will it be really exciting to hunt for all the coins and build an amazing collection, but each and every coin opens up the opportunity for wonderful conversations about quintessential Australian life.
      “It’s a great way for grandparents to connect with grandchildren, and for all of us to share our own experiences and memories with each other — both here and with friends and family overseas.”
      The summer staple.Source:Supplied
      What’s more Aussie than swinging from the Hills hoist? Picture: David CairdSource:News Corp Australia
      Summer goodness.Source:Supplied
      Name another country where a clothes line is iconic …Source:Supplied
      Australia’s unique culture will be displayed on the $1 coins from favourite foods, the boomerang and didgeridoo, sports footy and cricket, and, of course, the television classic Neighbours.
      Native wildlife favourites the kangaroo, platypus and even the quokka will have their own special coin.
      The coins will be released from Monday. Picture: Daniel Pockett/Getty ImagesSource:Supplied
      Unfortunately no Hemsworths will feature but the quokka certainly is. Picture: InstagramSource:Instagram
      The massive campaign is the biggest minting and release of $1 coins since they were created in 1984.
      “We are excited that The Great Aussie Coin Hunt has now officially launched, giving families and all Australians the opportunity to participate in a fun and educational nationwide coin hunt,” assistant treasurer Michael Sukkar said.
      Australia Post to jillaroo.Source:Supplied
      From kangaroo to thongs.Source:Supplied
      Ute through to the icy goodness.Source:Supplied
    • By geof_junk
      The man who discovered GOLD first in Australia..pdf
    • By jrbeatty
      Reg Wilson is a bit of a legend in Australian detecting circles and has kept a comprehensive photo collection of his finds over 4 or 5 decades. Now everyone likes gold images and stories -  and there are plenty here!  I've been offered existing topics to post on, but I believe the topic deserves its own thread to do it full justice. All images are those of Reg Wilson unless otherwise attributed.
      The album consists of hundreds of photographs of not only gold, but many gold detecting industry characters, some of whom are no longer with us, but who all contributed in their own unique ways to the great gold chase we still enjoy today. Firstly, a bit of background.
      Reg first shot to international fame with the finding of this 98 ounce piece which he named the "Orange Roughie" in 1987, decades later to be fraudulently rebirthed as the "Washington Nugget"
      By no means his first find, Reg was already a successful detector operator and at the time was testing a prototype GT 16000 for Minelab's wizz kid engineer Bruce Candy:

Photo: Australian Sun Herald
      L to R:  Bruce Candy, the late Doug Robertson, Ian Jacques, Reg, John Hider Smith.

Reg recalled: "The man standing next to Bruce Candy is the late Doug Robertson, who with his brother Bruce worked the aluvials below the famous and fabulously rich Matrix reef at McIntyres. They had an old Matilda tank with a blade attached to clear Mallee scrub. Between them they had a wealth of knowledge of the northern Victorian gold fields.
      (Doug's name may have been Robinson. Memory is a bit foggy)" Ian, Reg and John were prototype SD 2000 testers in Victoria, AU and were collectively known as the "Beagle Boys" a name bestowed upon them by Dave Chappel, the publican of the Railway Hotel Dunolly. On any Friday night huge nuggets, some weighing well over a hundred ounces could be seen displayed on the bar.
      120oz from Longbush. Found all on its own, finder anonymous:

The playing cards and US currency indicate that the nugget has just been purchased by the late "Rattlesnake" John Fickett, a US gold buyer who bought many of the big pieces back then:

Ian Jacques and Reg with 44 oz 1989:

Ian Jacques with his SD 2000 prototype late 80's.
      Real prospectors don't use bungees  

All for now, but at least we've made a start - - -

• By phrunt
      Has anyone heard of using tree leaves to find gold, it seems to be a technique being used in South Australia at the moment
      https://7news.com.au/business/markets/tree-leaves-used-to-find-gold-in-sa-c-375943

Tree leaves used to find gold in SA
      A pair of Marmota geologists used tree leaves to prospect for gold in South Australia.Image: AAP Plenty of people have claimed to read tea leaves, but reading tree leaves has a less storied history.
      Nonetheless, a tiny gold miner has done just that to discover gold in South Australia.
      Marmota senior geologist Aaron Brown believes it's the first time biogeochemical sampling has been used to successfully prospect for gold in the southern hemisphere, although the technique has been used in Canada.
        Scientists have known for decades that tree roots can effectively act as a hydraulic pump, sucking up tiny specs of gold along with water from deep underneath the earth.
      But Australia's landscape is so varied that it can be hard to find consistent vegetation to measure, Mr Brown said.
      "You can't go across a landscape and assume everything's the same," he said.
      "One euclid can look like another."
      But Mr Brown - who abandoned his PhD research in 2002 to go hunt for precious minerals with junior miners - was able to devise a sampling program involving leaves from mulga wattle and senna trees.
      They initially sampled trees in a 200 metre by 200 metre grid in their tenements 50km from the historic and now depleted Challenger gold mine 740km northwest of Adelaide.
      They used a fresh pair of latex gloves while gathering 200 to 400 grams of leaves from each tree for laboratory analysis by Perth's LabWest, which works with the minerals industry.
      They first held a "proof of concept" trial last year to see if testing the leaves worked to detect gold near an area of known mineralisation at Aurora Tank.
      It did, giving the $16 million ASX-listed company the confidence to conduct reconnaissance drilling in June based on entirely on leaves from a senna tree.
      After six weeks of analysis, Marmota announced the results of that drilling on Wednesday, saying they had found a new zone of "potentially economic mineralisation" about 450 metres north of an existing gold field.
      "It's really quite remarkable," Marmota chairman Colin Rose said.
      The gold is 44 metres below the surface, with mineralisation of 3.4 grams tonne, Dr Rose said.
      "I don't think there's any way we would have found this without the tree sampling," he said.
      "It doesn't show up on anything else."
      Mr Brown said it would not have been a priority to drill the area without the results.
      "We all thought this area was dead," Mr Brown said.
      Marmota said it is "without delay" proceeding back to the drill site to collect more samples to be assayed, and plans to conduct more drilling in September to determine the extent of the mineralisation.
      The company is exploring options to bring the area into production using open-pit mining.
    • By geof_junk
      Here is a link worth a read.
      Golden seat

• By mn90403
      Many of you have heard of the Klondike and so have I.  A few of you would know it quite well so you can tell me whether this modern day version of the old Klondike is accurate.  I found it an entertaining read.
      https://stockhouse.com/opinion/independent-reports/2019/08/15/klondike-golden-moments