Sting Ray

Noise / Falsing While Hunting In Saltwater

Sorry about the abbreviations--I hear others calling them as such and do it myself without thinking.  Not on Geotech here wherein I would be the one asking for clarification....

cjc

• Like 2

I like the geotech site, but a completely different audience, for sure.  I have an engineering degree yet feel grossly under educated visiting there.  Lol.

On 6/25/2019 at 7:57 AM, midalake said:

Pinpoint mode to me is completely worthless. It has a broader spectrum signal than Disc mode and the water  seems to drive even more noise/chatter in pinpoint.  I have learned to "X" the target  in Disc mode and recover.  The more important part of the conversation is the loss of detection. How do I go forward with moving water and expect to detect targets?  The answer is: I am unable to.  

Dave

I just came back from our low tide beaches in Southern California.  I had read both of these threads before I went.

Let me just say that I have 'lost' my fair share of targets in a dig hole but later to be found with more digging.   It is annoying but somewhat understandable.  I also think that certain targets don't sound loud enough in the preset modes.  Neither of these happened to me tonight.

I was using the 15" coil without a coil cover.  Sensitivity was up to 22 in both B1&B2.  I normally hunt in the wet sand but sometimes I go out to the targets in my calf boots.  Tonight I wanted to test B2 in moving water.  It gets a high passing grade from me on moving water up to 1 foot.  I found it to be stable and fairly quiet.  Speed could be as low as 5.

Last night in B1 I went fast to make the same coil go quiet.  I was on 7 most of the time but I didn't do any moving water.

I hope you get it worked out.

Mitchel

I think a lot of us miss pitch hold.... which gave us longer sounds on targets.   I cant run 7 on a recovery speed here.... ive found the tones are just to short... and if i have selected the wrong pitch or target volume i can completely miss near targets.   I have no problem in moving water knee deep either...... but i believe hes referring to the oat meal area..... fluffy soft sand where black sand and minerals or tiny flakes accumulate...... right there at that low tide line surf... where its pulling your coil going back out.

Some key 3030 features such as pitch hold and 2-D discrimination patterns I would like see in a future, higher-end Multi IQ based detector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Is there anyone that for any reason still prefers the older version 1.5.0 software over the newer 1.7.5? If so, why? Just curious.
      Equinox - How To Check Version Or Rollback To Older Version
    • By Dave.H
      Some folks here may find this interesting, I certainly did!
      Testing my equinox 800 in my home test garden today, ground not high on mineralisation, but full of iron, old rusty nails etc.
      Had a silver UK sixpence 1930's buried only about 4/5 inches deep iron nails below and all around. (Difficult target)
      Imagine a clock face, I'm sweeping from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock , good 2 way tone, no problem, now sweeping from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, 1 way signal, one tone only sweeping from left to right (from 3 o'clock back to 9 o'clock)
      Here's the interesting discovery reference ground balance, on my test garden there's so much iron getting a true GB is impossible, when I do try to auto GB it jumps up to the high 90's! However most of my permissions here in the UK read a GB in the mid 40's to the mid 50's so generally that's where I leave my GB most of the time.
      Ok GB set at 50, one way target from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock, sweeping from 3 back to 9 gives me a one way tone.
      Increasing the GB to 90 gave the opposite, still a one way tone, but in reverse ,now sweeping from 9 back to 3,, still a good 2 way tone sweeping from 12 to 6!
      Lowering the GB to 75, amazing, perfect 2 way tone, 3 to 9,, and 9 to 3.
      Just thought I would share this as I found the results very interesting!
      (GB set at 0 gave no tone whatsoever from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock)
      Program used field 2 , 50 tones, multi, discrimination -9/+1, iron bias 1, stock 11" coil, sensitivity (tried 17/21 not a great deal of difference)
      Regards Dave. H

• By calabash digger
      Testing the program on numerous targets..

• By calabash digger
      Testing out the Jones beach Land program...

• By GKman
      Hi Folks
      I have been busy making quite a few finds recently. After more than a year with the Equinox, it continues to impress me with it's capabilities.
      Some of my recent finds include some early 1630's Kettle Points and Turtle Effigy, Spanish Silver, KG's and more. I even have had it scuba diving. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with the volume with the Grey Ghost headphones. I have a new pair of Tony Eisenhower headphones ready to try out with the hopes that the volume is better. We shall see.
      HH Everyone...