X-coil Connection Update

54 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

As people are aware I was able to procure a dongle so I could use the coils but as has already been shown this is easily circumvented by anyone willing to sacrifice a coil to do so

- - - but the coil isn't sacrificed

• Like 5

Guest AussieDigs

Surely there is test equipment (oscilloscope?) than can test the like of these coils in different scenarios so the yay or nay is not left to up to yayers and naysayers? Otherwise there will always be a ‘do they or dont they’ which costs us the consumer in the long run?

14 minutes ago, kiwijw said:

@JP:  I don't know why you say "Sacrificing a coil" to make an adapter plug. There is no sacrificing a coil at all. You cut the chip end off & wack back on a female microphone plug on the end of the cut off coil lead & by using the adapter plug, that now has the chip in it, you can still use the "sacrificial" coil just the same as any of the X coils. Or are you just trying to be  a scare mongerer? Unfortunately for Condor, he just had a bad experience. Shit happens, but he will get on top of it & wont look back. Good luck Condor. I know you will love your X coil/coils.

JP...on another note. When you say you found gold straight away with the x coil/coils, was it on ground you had already been over with the ML 14" coil that was no longer producing for you? That has been my experiences, & it seems every body else's swinging these coils.

Best of luck out there

JW?

When I was doing the prototype testing for the GPZ 7000 the initial coils had GPX connectors because the board was in a GPX housing, once Minelab went to the current housing the connectors changed so I had to go to an adapter to use the older GPX terminated coils on the newer housings, THAT then opened up a whole new can of worms with extra and unacceptable noise thanks to the extra connection. I personally DO NOT want to use any Minelab coil with a double connection let alone the hassle of having to use the X coils with one. In EACH and every case it has ALWAYS caused problems with noise!! The proto GPZ was a nightmare to use when it had GPX connectors on it, an absoute nightmare!! The pins on the GPX connector allow for way too much movement for high end electronics like the GPZ!

JW you can colour whatever your saying with whatever brush you care to use, you can also imply I am scare mongering but at the end of the day you would have to for sure have known about the X balance problem with the Ferrite and chosen not to mention it in your reporting because lucky you it is not an issue in your area (nor in Russia BTW), but what about all the other people around the world whose circumstances are different? Tough Titties for them I suppose? Is the distributor going to drive to every person who ends up having a problem with a dodgy connector or was this just an isolated case because it was up on the forum? 

I find it fascinating how you think because you are getting away with the coils in NZ that you automatically assume every one else will have the same experience? You even have the audacity to suggest I've been succesful with them supposedly mirroring your wonderful experience!! But of course you do have the caveat of your benign ground and 'In my experience' to hide behind when people have problems or if all else fails you can do what your attempting to do to me, discrediting their feedback as scaremongering or some such thing!!

I'm often at the centre of lively discussion because often I'm the guy with the knowledge who feels compelled to keep everything factual, thats my job with Minelab and is what I've been doing for well over 20 years now! People might NOT find the salient facts appetizing but facts they are!!

JP

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

When I was doing the prototype testing for the GPZ 7000 the initial coils had GPX connectors because the board was in a GPX housing, once Minelab went to the current housing the connectors changed so I had to go to an adapter to use the older GPX terminated coils on the newer housings, THAT then opened up a whole new can of worms with extra and unacceptable noise thanks to the extra connection. I personally DO NOT want to use any Minelab coil with a double connection let alone the hassle of having to use the X coils with one. In EACH and every case it has ALWAYS caused problems with noise!! The proto GPZ was a nightmare to use when it had GPX connectors on it, an absoute nightmare!! The pins on the GPX connector allow for way too much movement for high end electronics like the GPZ!

- - - but users are not reporting such problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kiwijw said:

JP...on another note. When you say you found gold straight away with the x coil/coils, was it on ground you had already been over with the ML 14" coil that was no longer producing for you? That has been my experiences, & it seems every body else's swinging these coils.

That's a good question Kiwi, but appears to remain unanswered. Why?

• Like 1

Minelab has a 'problem' on its hands which is not all bad for them.  They promised to give us a smaller coil and should or could have done more than that with the 7000 platform after all these years.  We could have had more software upgrades and/or hardware modifications over time to feel current.

Now an upstart coil manufacturer has released a coil that turbocharges the 7000.  I think all aftermarket turbochargers void an engine's warranty no matter what.  People still buy them because they are fun and win races.  These coils require a splicing of the coil cable wire so that you can use both coils afterwards.  If done properly reports are that enough gold is being found for it to be more fun and potentially find enough gold to pay for any mistake one makes in buying it in the first place.  

The XCoils could potentially be better and tested longer but they will still help Minelab sell more 7000s the way they are.  I am a 7000 owner considering the purchase of one of these coils unless Minelab is on the verge of releasing more coils on their own soon.  I believe my fellow prospectors when they say they are finding more gold with them than without them.  It can't be that big of a mistake to buy one or more.

Mitchel

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jasong said:

ML themselves or another 3rd party ARE working on a range of legit licensed coils and this Russian company put their coils out quickly before proper testing in order to make money before the legit coils were released.

Bingo! Jasong: After careful consideration I think you just hit the nail squarely on the head.

That would neatly explain JP's sometimes bizarre x coil criticism - and reluctance to publish results of his testing.

He knows the x coils deliver the goods  but would prefer people wait for the legit option - and can't say anything!

It would also explain other key players silence on the topic du jour. 

Stay tuned - - -

• Like 2