X-coil Connection Update

Ha, on ya Strick, can I use that disclaimer too...…..please. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kiwijw said:

If that is the case why wouldn't Minelab say they are working on something. Be a lot more transparent about it & then people would most likely hold off on getting these Russian coils knowing something was coming from Minelab? Doesn't make any sense....does it?

Lack of a man parachuting from the sky bearing a cornucopia of fruits, corn, and GPZ coils for every man, woman, and child on the green Earth would lean towards suggesting a 3rd party offering (if any of this wild ass guessing had substance), thus one explanation for the lack of the typical media blitz we are used to from ML.

On the other hand - if there wasn't another coil being made by a 3rd party, I don't see any reason Minelab wouldn't just disable the security authentication in the firmware for a fee and make some money off the X Coils at least. One explanation: if they've already licensed security codes to a 3rd party then doing that would be much harder because that 3rd party would now be paying for something which users could simply just disable entirely, so why pay for it at all?

Further guessing - Not having to pay a licensing fee and not having to deal with ferrite and other issues, X Coils could capitalize on being first to market while the other competitor delayed the licensed coil release to address those bugs JP reported (hence the "greed" comment). X Coils are potentially more sensitive than a coil having to dumb itself down to work in highly saturable soils (again, a WAG on my part), thus the legit manufacturer is now having to delay a second time in order to figure out how to both address JP's concerns and also still compete on a sensitivity scale. This would explain JP's anger at the lack of user reports on issues that they all felt were important enough to end up delaying a product release.

I feel like I'm at the end of a Scooby Do episode now. :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

Phrunt, I agree with your thoughts. If Minelab had an alternative coil or manufacture working on coils, it wouldn't have taken them 4 years to figure this out. JP has to stay loyal to ML, protect their interests, communicate issues, and he is a Minelab dealer(high standards in the MD world)...nothing wrong with that and I have watched and learned from him, "Best of the Best"!

We can all SWAG this one, Minelab dropped the ball and told us to use an SDC if we wanted a smaller coil.:biggrin:

My 10" X coil is on the pre-order list....not waiting around any more.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm eagerly waiting on Jason's results when his arrive.

Unfortunately it won't be too quickly - it will be interesting to see how long strange electronics coming from Russia take to get through US customs. I've never received a package from abroad, so that part is new to me. 

Likely some others in the US will be reporting back before I do as I live 25-30 hours drive roundtrip from the goldfields, makes it impossible to take a weekend trip when work is still going. I have to wait to finish this house I'm on and squeeze in a quick trip before the next one starts so that means I'll only have a couple days to test in the field. That also means I won't be able to prospect with them, I'll just have to hit up some old patches and see how they do.

Side note for anyone who wants to see how these coils do on your dead patch in NNV, PM me, I might have time for one or two if it's specific small areas, you keep the gold, I get to video (can just show the ground for privacy). Otherwise I'm going to areas I found on my own and it was mostly only me detecting there, which few here will recognize. I'm not planning on Rye Patch which seems to be where most of the general public goes, since I've only been there twice and know basically nothing about it, so if people want a reference for places they detect there, and it's a place that's been flogged thoroughly by experienced operators with GPZ's which would give these coils a good test (and you have permission to detect there), PM me.

Andyy is waiting on his coil.

Shipping on these coils is faster than I expected.  I ordered on 6/5 and I had an attempted delivery 6/22 while I was out of town.  So I will be picking up the coil on Monday at the post office.  It'll probably take me a bit to make my lead and get out to test at some patches (assuming I don't damage anything). 

I am really not sure if the 10" coil is just hype or a psychosomatic improvement.  There have been small patch areas that I have come back and hit multiple times with the same settings and found more gold.  EMI has a huge effect on this in my area.  But as has been said, we all like to tweak things just to see if we can get another edge.  So for me this is something else for me to experiment with, since it is obviously not in Minelab's  immediate commercial interest to pursue the smaller coils.

I do not believe anything JW or anyone else on this thread, has been said to be misleading.  Having both sides of the fence to think about is appreciated.  It is up to the individual to prove or disprove what has been said.  This is how I plan on viewing my future testing.  This coil could be a dud in my areas.   Either way I will learn from the experience and pass on what I find good or bad.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What is the ground like where you detect Andy? I can't recall if I've seen you mention areas you detect before, so just trying to get a rough idea - hot, medium, mild, salty? Seperately, there appears to be a direct correlation between Taco Bell sauce packets and detecting ground classifications.

• Haha 4

mmmmm….. Tacos ….  (can't focus … only see Fire Sauce).  

Well back to detecting.  I get bored sticking with a single area, so I generally hop around.  I have one area near Wickenburg Arizona that was a hill side patch with really hot ground.  A short walk away from this hill and I cannot swing the detector without major groans.  The ferrite ring does nothing for me.  No setting helps.  The reason I like this area for testing is because all the gold was less than .25grams.  So it didn't make me a lot of money, but it was fun.  And I gridded it.  So I am really curious how this coil handles this patch and maybe some others within walking distance.

And if it doesn't work here, I have some areas in Bumble Bee or Poland Junction that are good tiny gold areas to rerun. 

• Haha 2

I am a betting man,  I bet you folks upover in the US are going to be blown away by the X coils, from reading your posts the 10"X  is probably the tops but the rest are no slouches. The 12"X, only 2" in diameter bigger but being spiral wound can have the sensitivity cranked up a wee above what is comfy on the 10X. Main thing is we have that range of quality coil sizes now.

• Like 2

Cool, will be curious how it does down there, some area around Wickenburg have bits and pieces of some of the hottest ground I've detected too, outside of places that are literally just on solid slabs of basalt or iron bearing serpentine. If there is some issue with these coils in saturable soils then you should see it should show up down there.

• Like 1