What Is Your Favorite X Coil?

Several people have them.  What is your favorite X Coil and why?

X Coil 2021 News

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

Thanks for the back up & for your company Simon & sorry for your skunk.:sad: You did get more pellets than me.:blink:

Good luck out there

JW ?

JW,

Were you hearing pellets and ignoring them?

Do you use any smoothing?

Mitchel

1 hour ago, kiwijw said:

You did get more pellets than me.:blink:

That bit struck my interest too Mitchel.  By JWs quizzical emoji I am not sure that he is understanding what is going on either.  

Is JW just not putting his coil over as many or is Simon’s machine (VLF??) more sensitive and picking up the shallower, upper layer pellets but not striking deep enough to pick up the gold? 

Curiouser and curiouser  ?

Possibly QED with PI X coil?

Any news on the PI coils being sold/used in Australia. I had seen the prototypes did have issues here? Are the PI coils just another spiral wound option or different again? 

3 hours ago, kiwijw said:

......without even a sparrows fart of ground noise.......

JW ?    

That cracked me up.....love it lol!  But I seriously might have to consider getting one of those coils. 

Idk Norvic said he is getting similar results with the SDC and the 10” coiltec coil vs the 10” xcoil.  I think I'm going to wait on this one and go the SDC route since i currently own one.

Got me scratching my head, I lean towards the 15 but that`s because I know for me patch hunting is the go. I doubt the 10 will be my favourite, whilst I can swing a bigger coil. The 12 is a good allrounder, but I guess it goes back to which size coil I used most back in PI days and that was the 16 NF, again because that from say 14 to 16 is patch hunting size in my country. For me ML was on the money when they brought the Z out with a 14.

I`m off today for a few hours close by, on flogged patches with the 12 because that`s in that sweet size spot for flogging patches that haven`t too much grass on them.

Peg, I echo JW, you wont regret it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I am a bit shocked with JW's results today, I've even done that ground to death with my Equinox and Gold Monster, and VLF's here love the shallow bedrock in that location, no hot rocks, no mineralisation... nothing to hinder them yet JW comes out with 11 nuggets! It's just mental. I was skunked!

Simon, get yourself an SDC!  They are affordable and you will get that deeper tiny gold too.  I have had a 7k since day one and still love using the sdc because it finds small gold.   Max the sensitivity on 5 and you will be pinging little bits and party on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norvic said:

I`m off today for a few hours close by, on flogged patches with the 12 because that`s in that sweet size spot for flogging patches that haven`t too much grass on them.

This was my thought too with getting the 12" instead of the 10". And a few more reasons after thinking about which sizes to get for a couple days: it's the smallest coil that is spriral wound (I wish I had enough money to test spiral against normal wound, but I don't). It's lighter than the Z14 so can swing longer without breaks. It's smaller than the Z14 so should do a little better in salt. It's not so small it's laborious to prospect with, but it's small enough to use in rocky washes. And it's small enough to get a good sensitivity boost over the Z14 and the X Coil 15 potentially on sub 1 gram stuff anyways. Ideally, I would love something slightly ellpitical, like 12x10, but round will be fine.

That and unlike a lot in the US I'm just not patient enough to swing really small coils outside of patches, the smallest coil I ever owned that saw somewhat regular use was the NF 14x9. Area wise, that is basically equivalent to a round 12". So, I can still use the 12" for exploration too and it'll be lighter than the Z14 for that.

If the 12" spiral is more or less equivalent and/or more sensitive to the Z14 on sub 5 gram stuff (like 95% of my take), then it seems like it will be the ideal coil for me and will replace the Z14. Got the 17" on top of that for deep patch hunting, hoping its about the same weight as the Z14. Between those two, if they both work as I hope they do, I don't see myself using the Z14 anymore. I think the 10" might be better for a lot of people here in the US, but the 12" sounded perfect for me if I'm limiting myself to just 2 coils.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1