What Is Your Favorite X Coil?

Having only spent 4 hours behind the 10, I haven`t noticed any difference between it being not spiral wound except I`ve dropped my sensitivity to 8, I`ve assumed that drop was necessary because it is a smaller coil and normally smaller coils being more sensitive require such.

• Like 1

The sdc is like the gpz on small gold but better in my experience.  If that were the case about the 2300 having no advantage in mild soil, you also wouldn't have any advantage using the Z.  The vlf would be all you need, but obviously the Z punches deeper weather it be hot or mild ground.  Its the same story with the 2300. The less mineralized the ground, the deeper you will shoot down.  If your crumb chasin that is the detector to own! 

Simon,

Maybe they will be making an X Coil for the 2300!  Then you and Wes could talk about it on MY thread.  haha

(Did we just start a rumor or a business model to compete with Coiltek?)

Anyway, I have a 2300 and if I wanted to hunt mulluck piles in Australia and find gold like Elusive did then I should have taken it to Victoria.  Norvic has done more with the 2300 so maybe he will be asking the Russians to make a SDC coil.

Actually, I think you would quite like the 2300 Simon.

Mitchel

• Like 1

MN your cheeky, LOL. Nah I have not used the SDC much at all, in fact it is the only gold detector I`ve bought that hasn`t paid for itself in gold. Until I modded it and put a centre pivoting coil on it, I considered it was just as strenuous swinging it as the Z. Now I`ve the X coils on the Z, Y would I use the SDC.

• Like 1

Thanks Phrunt.

Seems to be different variations (bundle, spiral, spiral/bundle, GPZ modded) of these coils around & some don't appear to know what variation they've even purchased? 

Would be interested in one for the GPX but would also like to see some more Aussie feedback & manufacturer transparency around what your purchasing etc. 

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'll ask JW if I can run his SDC for a day and see, it's just sitting there for years gathering dust.  The GPZ with 10x9" is punching really deep on absolutely tiny gold.  Remember GPZ coils are built very differently to SDC coils and the technology running the detector is very different.  He thought his SDC was faulty as it didn't give the results he expected, sent it to OZ to Minelab for a checkup and got the all clear on health.

I should add VLF's are better than the GPZ with stock coil on the tiny bits of gold by far, the 10x9" JW is running has changed that and now only the tinest bits the VLF's are better, the small but deeper bits go to the GPZ.

I don't doubt the Z with a 10" coil will do really well,  but if you are looking for a cheaper alternative, the 2300 is the next best thing on small gold at depths greater than a vlf will punch.  Run the sensitivity up 4 or 5 and listen for the faint signals.  We were cleaning up a lot of patches that were worked with the 5000 and 8x6 coil.  I believe the 2300 has a  faster receive  timing than the gpx, so its not like you can just strap on a small coil and expect the same results on the 5k.  Spend some time running an sdc and you will like it after you learn its language.

20190624_094721.thumb.jpg.d15a8da7d4f4f2ae481076ddaf19470e.jpg

MN here is why I`m enjoying the X coils especially the 12 & 10, good grass for the cattle but not ideal for the detector, there are barer patches of grass, in fact from the years I`ve learnt there is a silver lining to heavy grassed years, as gold occurs in mineralisation often this can stunt the grass growth, leaving areas that can be detected thus when patch hunting you just go from barer patch to barer patch, giving you less country to do in the line your prospecting on, perhaps improving your chances. I say perhaps because on those years of less grass the gold patches prove this bare theory is sometimes flawed. That quartz rock you see in the photo is an indicator, country is chiefly slates & shales, with odd limestone outcrops and was back a few years all under the sea, lots of years. 

There are no alluvial (Placer) workings on field, mining was shafts following the reefs down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Norvic said:

MN your cheeky, LOL. Nah I have not used the SDC much at all, in fact it is the only gold detector I`ve bought that hasn`t paid for itself in gold. Until I modded it and put a centre pivoting coil on it, I considered it was just as strenuous swinging it as the Z. Now I`ve the X coils on the Z, Y would I use the SDC.

Hey Norvic,  I am not sure if you have a 10" X coil in the mail, but that would definitely be one to test with the SDC 8" coil.  I have been out with a buddy that probably gets the same size tiny gold as the ZED, but a couple inches deeper.  Part of this is the fact that the 8" coil can really get in places.  14" is forced to ride the high ridges and therefore be spaced out farther from the gold.  I would be curious if this smaller ZED X coil compares.  Again, I STRONGLY believe this is why ML will not make a small coil.  It has already been proven that the wire fits and there is customer demand.

• Like 2

Hi Andyy, Above is link to my recent review of the 10"X + Z, suddenly we are spoilt with choices.

• Like 1