X Coils. What Is X? X Equals Ferrite, Ferrite Equals X

Out of curiosity, are the Xcoils SuperD coils?  If not, wouldn’t that be part of the ZVT technology?  And if its not necessary to have a SuperD, could you explain the two techs and how they work together or don’t need to work together?  Could SuperD work on nonZVT detectors?  Are you getting where I am coming from?  :laugh:  After chatting with my friend just now they must be SuperD coils in order to work. (edited)

If there are refs for this already, just let me know and I’ll read those instead of having to write a lengthy explanation.  

Thanks JP!

The X coils are DOD wound (SuperD is the name Minelab give for that configuration), you need that style of coil for ZVT to work properly. The Spiral wound X coils have a flat Tx and a traditional Rx, because of the spiral they seem to behave a bit like a monoloop with a signal kind of coming off the side edges of the coils as well as the traditional receive points where the windings cross each other.

Electronically they are flawed with what Minelab would consider to be too much saturation signal (Tx is most likely too close to the ground relative to the Rx in an attempt to save weight and simplify design and expense), the windings also allow too much knock and rub energy through the windings causing noise especially in General Difficult. Because they are hand made there will also be discrepancies and inconsistencies between coils which I also noticed with my coils. If Minelab made such a coil they would be constantly having to replace them under warranty. I gave all this advice when I was testing them to both the manufacturer and the importer. 

JP

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi JP. Been watching a lot your work out in the scrub during the years. Thanks for your time very helpful. I`m over in the WA side and need to put my bit in. Even though new to this forum I have gone through the 4500 to 5000  to 7000 series over the years. I look at the posts from persons telling me how good the new x coils work but to me over here I work over old grounds flogged over the years full of hot rocks and minerals. Most areas have been scraped by blades to flatten the ground and get the coils as close as possible to the ground. I am picking up small nuggets usually within 50mm from the surface. The average size is 0.1 grams. I will include a photo of some pieces collected from the Leonora area four weeks ago. So it may take all day to get a gram but I enjoy the struggle, then every now and then out pops a beauty. I use the ML14" coil with the skid plate bouncing on the ground (carefully).  I have to run in difficult all the time, high yield, sensitivity 20, threshold 1, vol 12 with the VM12 unit, ground balance auto, all smoothing off. The coil works nice and quiet as long as you balance properly at the start and take your time.

I have picked up a lot of small stuff that people and machines have left behind. Any nuggets greater that 1 gram set the machine off so loud that it wakes you up with a fright. In high mineral ground give it a try. 

All in all the ML14" suits me to a tee. Okay a bit heavy, but I swing without needing a harness and the coil takes a lot of punishment from me. Enjoy the bush out there all, cheers Sturt.

IMG_20190625_090949.jpg

IMG_20190625_092401.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the post JP. 

Although it seems like some of the early issues may have been ironed out is always nice for a potential consumer to know the teething problems a new product has had and potential issues that may still arise for some purchasers depending on ground conditions or if the patch lead, etc aren't quite up to scratch. 

Although I no longer own the Z, if it were still in my hands I know I couldn't bring myself to 'cut the cord' as it were.  The risk versus the reward would be just too big for me at the present time.  I think you mentioned in one of your earlier posts about the possibility of "coil not connected" being too scary to contemplate - I am definitely in that category  ?

This is also not a slight on the X coils, their manufacturer or Davsgold.  Obviously there are many happy purchasers experiencing little or no issues and finding good quantities of gold in flogged patches.  But there are 2 sides to every coin and it is good for potential purchasers to see the flip side so they can make a fully informed decision.  

Cheers, NE.  

• Like 4