Comparison: SDC With Or Without Coiltek Coils Vs. GPZ With Or Without Xcoils

I would like to start a thread of peoples opinions on what they found between these two machines with various coils.  I love my SDC and have found my biggest and smallest gold with it (8”).  My GPZ has definitely gone deeper for gold (14”).  I am about even on the total count for each, weight a being different story.

I understand that if you only have one detector then you want coil options, but if you got both I wonder what would be a better bang for your buck?  A 10” Xcoil at $1000 or a 11”Coiltek at $310.  Thats if they compare at depth and sensitivity.

Norvic I would love for you to state your opinions here, you seem to have the most on thses just based on other posts.

• Like 1

Well only early days but I cannot see any difference in performance between the SDC with the Coiltek 11" and the Z with the 10"X, both had no trouble on this variable ground patch. Both handled the variable ground and both got small scraps (10 to the gram), felt a wee strange at first swing the Z with a small coil, but I like the SDC with a centre mount coil as per norm. much better. Both showed no "knock resistance" to the being bumped up against the heavy grass or the numerous rocks. This ground had previously been run over with the SDC + 8" standard coil and whilst it got pieces not with the ease the SDC + 11"Coiltek.

In regards to the Coiltek 11", the first one I received lasted 20 minutes, my dealer got me a replacement from Coiltek (no cost to me) as fast as.

For me it is good to know as I can have the SDC fitted with the 11" and the Z with whatever X coil it has on (suspect be mainly the 15 for patch hunting) just lovely to have these coil choices for both the SDC and the Z. Like kids in a candy store...………...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One Should not be fooled by its looks, but the SDC is a weapon when it comes to small gold 

These days I run the 2300 before I break out the Z , if there is small color larger pieces won't be far away 

I gave it a thought about buying a larger coil for the SDC but why bother when the std Z coil will get those pieces anyway 

The other day I got this super faint target on an ants nest , Australian Meat Ants are aggressive and are a real pain in the Arss as they just keep biting until you kill them not much fun on the inside of your pants leg  , this target was the smallest I had ever found and blew my mind once I had recovered it 0.04 of a gram or for you US guys  0.6172943 of a grain and it was found with the SDC, mind you it took 20 mins to retrieve it, all in good fun but I would not want to do that every time I got a faint signal  

I'm not entering the Public debate of X coils, thanks

Marty

• Like 3

Marty I agree!  I like to use my SDC then go back in with the Z.  Its easier to move around with to clear the first 5-8”, then go back in with the Z (all geared up) and dig out the deeper stuff.  

I have been trying to find videos or reviews on the coiltek coils without much luck.  There are a few, but it would be nice to have the exact same target at multiple depths for good standard tests of these coils and then the same comparison on the 10” Xcoils too.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, afreakofnature said:

Marty I agree!  I like to use my SDC then go back in with the Z.  Its easier to move around with to clear the first 5-8”, then go back in with the Z (all geared up) and dig out the deeper stuff.  

I have been trying to find videos or reviews on the coiltek coils without much luck.  There are a few, but it would be nice to have the exact same target at multiple depths for good standard tests of these coils and then the same comparison on the 10” Xcoils too.  

Because I had a Z (replaced a 5000) before I got the SDC I probably am guilty of not using it enough to see it as a competitor for the Z, to me the Z is the go-to MD for gold, even more so now we have a choice of coil sizes. I also find it is a wee unusual those who test detectors with vids etc haven`t done so re. our recent good fortune in coil choices for both the SDC and Z. I speculate and this is just my opinion, testers maybe are waiting for MLs reaction to these aftermarket coils.

Good for those of us who have taken the plunge, less competition for those nuggets these coils are exposing.

• Like 1

I’m not looking at SDC being a competitor to the the Z, more as a compliment to it.  But the 10” coil for the Z has me wondering since if the SDC 11” is on par then way easier to go in first with the agile machine before bringing in the big guns (and cheaper if you already own a SDC).  I should state that i am not desert prospecting, if that was the case i would just swing the Z 14” and up.

• Like 2

Yeah, you pegged it depends on the country one does which machine is the go-to. Way to go with the SDC now we have coil choices, much cheaper coil for what appears to me so far to be as good as the X10" on the Z. I agree the Z & SDC complement each other I used the compete comment a wee too loosely, complement is way better.

Depending on the ground, the std coil Zed will get 1/2 grain and lower, but you need to almost be touching it.  A buddy of mine runs the 8" coil on the SDC and kills it on the dinks.  The SDC's advantage is:

1)  it probably gets an extra 1-1.5" deeper on dinks (just my estimate)

2) he can fit the head of the coil in more areas (between the high in the bedrock) - very beneficial

The perfect machine is one that incorporates the SDC and ZED capabilities.  The GM1000 will get gold that both of these machines miss, but only in quiet ground.

So ... in my mind, Norvic already has the two best machines.  Just need bigger and bigger Xcoils for the ZED  :)

Let's give this tread a tweak up:

Does anyone happen to know who did the testing of these Coiltek coils to know if they are working properly?  We know who did some Xcoil testing!