Buy A Used GPZ 7000 Or Gamble Waiting For An Update?

Alright, I know nobody really knows the answer to when there will be a GPZ successor.  Because of that, I'm just pinging for some opinions.  We are currently a VLF only family that's interested in a detector that reduces some of the hot rock music we listen to here in Arizona.  If you were in the market and didn't have a PI detector would you:  A) get a used GPZ for $4500-5000 or B) wait and see what comes out over the next one to several years (depending on what rumors you believe)?  And, a here's bonus follow up question.  Does anybody have a guess what happens to used GPZ prices after the next model appears?

You can wait...or not.

If you buy a used gpz or some earlier pi you will still get less IF a new GPZ comes around...when you sell to buy the new model.

I don’t think Minelab ever introduced a next generation detector for less money!

what is it worth to you.

fred

• Like 1

Points taken. It’s funny how choosing and purchasing a detector is a lot harder than other albeit more expensive necessities of life.

The trick is to get new models when they come out so you get the full ride.  After several years you just never know when a new model may.. or may not, come out. And no matter what the new machine costs existing units always take a price hit as many people dump the older model to get the newer one.

Since Minelab owns the high end market with no competition in sight there is no business reason to replace the GPZ any time soon. For a long time now the only company competing with Minelab on the high end gold detectors has been Minelab. Not saying it won’t happen, but people counting X number of years between releases forget what happened when the GPX 4500 came out. The release time between it and the final GPX 5000 doubled over previous release intervals. I know because I sold my GPX 4500 anticipating a new model.... and then had to buy another one when the 4800/5000 release was delayed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I appreciate the opinions.  From scouring forum discussions and detecting classifieds, it seems the prices for used GPZs can be in the mid to upper $4000s, even for one in "excellent condition". 

A thread in this forum from early 2017 suggested a ball park used price of $6k.  That was 2 years ago and maybe not long enough after the 2016 price drop to see it pull down used detector costs. 

Based on current eBay listings, it looks like people want more!  Three of the recent listings "sold" for $6400+ .  Out of skepticism I messaged the sellers.  They each said they still had the detector due to non-paying bidders.  There was a pair of GPZs that sold for $3300 each out of Russia.  ;)

Any recollections of recent sales by those who have been around here for a while?  Unfortunately, there isn't any history of them in the classifieds here to get an idea.  

• 3 weeks later...

There was a GPZ on eBay for bid that had a pic that said email/message and buy it for $2k.  The listing was gone in two days.   Seemed like a potential counterfeit unit.  Someone always seemed to bite on those “to good to be true” deals!

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 6/25/2019 at 1:32 AM, Skookum said:

Alright, I know nobody really knows the answer to when there will be a GPZ successor.  Because of that, I'm just pinging for some opinions.  We are currently a VLF only family that's interested in a detector that reduces some of the hot rock music we listen to here in Arizona.  If you were in the market and didn't have a PI detector would you:  A) get a used GPZ for $4500-5000 or B) wait and see what comes out over the next one to several years (depending on what rumors you believe)?  And, a here's bonus follow up question.  Does anybody have a guess what happens to used GPZ prices after the next model appears?

I would buy the GP Extreme in classifieds for 950.00 and see if you think PIs are your cup of tea.

Even the GP Extreme is miles ahead of your vlf..... 

i had one and sold it for the same price I paid for it a year later.... 

950.00 is a great price... I think it needs a battery but hey.....

6 hours ago, Noah (FL) said:

There was a GPZ on eBay for bid that had a pic that said email/message and buy it for $2k.  The listing was gone in two days.   Seemed like a potential counterfeit unit.  Someone always seemed to bite on those “to good to be true” deals!

Funny you mentioned that. I messaged that seller and asked him if he was selling it for so low because it was counterfeit. He never responded. ?

• Haha 1