Whats In Your Coil?

Quote:"Looks like a ferrite choke inside the GPZ 14" stock coil too but the wires go into it tightly bunched and come out loose. Somethings going on in there"

Yes indeed. The TX coil is would from multi-stranded Litz wire, appearing 'fatter' on the images. It's then soldered to short lengths of 'regular' wire ( I don't know what, probably just PVC-insulated equipment wire ) , which are then soldered to the PCB ... or maybe it's the coil cable inner directly soldered to the Litz. The ferret .... well somewhere in ML's patents is the answer. I recall that big blob solder joints were detectable to PI's in some less-than-ideal way. And the ferret 'hides' the joints, somehow. I'll have to trawl Geotech1 to find the details.

[ferret's may be known as polecats in your country ]

Update: Here ya go ( after 10+ edits, I'm still struggling to get the links to work ... Iwish there was a 'post preview' option )

Patent US20130057286

https://www.geotech1.com/forums

Also: MD-Hunter's blog has X-rays of the Nox coil, and a few other types.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

Quote:"Looks like a ferrite choke inside the GPZ 14" stock coil too but the wires go into it tightly bunched and come out loose. Somethings going on in there"

Yes indeed. The TX coil is would from multi-stranded Litz wire, appearing 'fatter' on the images. It's then soldered to short lengths of 'regular' wire ( I don't know what, probably just PVC-insulated equipment wire ) , which are then soldered to the PCB ... or maybe it's the coil cable inner directly soldered to the Litz. The ferret .... well somewhere in ML's patents is the answer. I recall that big blob solder joints were detectable to PI's in some less-than-ideal way. And the ferret 'hides' the joints, somehow. I'll have to trawl Geotech1 to find the details.

[ferret's may be known as polecats in your country ]

Edit: Here ya go:
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/showthread.php?20307-ML-patent-Application

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130057286

MD-Hunter's blog has x-rays of the Nox coil, and a few others.

You sound like you are a electronics whizzkid

You're a heck of a photographer Mr. Strick.

Could you bring that thing up with you on your next trip. I would like to play with it and see if it could be adapted to field use. How much depth do you think we could get with it?

• Haha 3

I've fixed the links in my post, which was hard work. I'm going to have to practice if I'm going to post any more links in the future.

The GoldBug2 has a few recognisable features:

The fans of 6 or 7 wires are where connection is made to the graphite paint finish on the shell inner surface - one for the top, one for the bottom, I assume. The wires are bare tinned copper, possibly melted into the plastic, possibly taped down. Then the graphite is painted over the top of everything.

There's a capacitor in there, the rectangular thing on two wires, typically a wound polypropylene type, in a little plastic box. This will tune the transmit coil.

The excess of spare wire is what would be used to get the correct null, where there's very little output from the coil when nothing metallic is nearby. This could be moved around, formed into small loops, etc, in addition to moving the location of the central ( RX and bucking ) coil assembly about a bit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, klunker said:

Could you bring that thing up with you on your next trip. I would like to play with it and see if it could be adapted to field use. How much depth do you think we could get with it?

Klunker I am surprised you don’t know the answer to that one...or are you being rhetorical?

40% more depth would be my quess......?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, klunker said:

I bet that would bring out the details on worn out coins. No more guessing what your worn out slug is!

• Like 2