Whats In Your Coil?

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Now you just have to sit on it and take an image of your bum like we all did with photocopiers back in the day ?

Lol...my DR plate is too small for that...maybe one cheek if im lucky ?

strick

• Haha 1

It works fine...hardly gets used and the coil has no damage to it.  Cool that you spotted that as I did not  lol...I had a CTX coil that went bad a few years ago and I should have taken a radiograph of it but did not think about doing that at the time...not that it would have made any difference as I have no idea whats going on inside these coils anyways! 

strick

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's probably nothing wrong, I just noticed the inconsistency.  Maybe I should be an x-ray analyser, is that a job? ?

But It does seem a good idea if you get a dodgy coil at some point, take a snoop inside with your gadget.  I'd go nuts with it if I owned that thing ?

You can be a coil radiologist Phrunt? I know a guy that can get you all set up (wireless) for about 50k... which is good timing because they have come down in price over the last 10 years! 

Strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gives them total control of their product...if some day they want to start making accessory coils...or contract with someone else to make them.. then they can do so without others in competition...that gotta be the main reason 

strick 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:05 AM, jasong said:

We've had a ferrite inside our coil all along it looks like. :tongue:

It's not in the photo you posted of the coil being tested in the Minelab bench, wonder if it's just an FCC compliance thing as some mentioned in earlier threads. It seems to be covering a wire junction or solder point in the middle.

Anyone know what that square thing in the GB2 coil is?

Also, I hope my Deus coil goes bad at some point just so I can take it apart without worry about breaking it and figure out how they crammed a whole detector into that tiny amount of circuitry. There must be more shielded in that tube thing.

The GB2 coil has a square windings connector. The 'fireworks' are 2x ground-shield sprays of light gauge wire to attempt deadening of ground noise. Always a difficult thing to attempt when utilizing concentric designs in the goldfield soil conditions. the rest of the loose wire is excess tuning wire to reach the correct induction and frequency match. Ive seen much cleaner versions of GB2 coils than that...musta been a bad day when that one was made lol

• Like 4

These are great photos indeed! 

At least it didnt show all the 'black magic' dust that is put in to make the coils work too - you have to get that in the right spots too!! ?

Nice one, Trev.

• Like 2

Steve 'looked' inside of a coil a few years back:

• Like 1

Thanks for that link.. I don't have the balls to open one up unless it's broken of course. 2014 was the year that I got hooked on this hobby..

strick