Whats In Your Coil?

• 1 year later...

• 5 months later...

Strick:

Thanks for starting this thread and sharing wonderful insight into the inner workings of the sensing head of our various detectors.  Very educational.  In many instances there is much more happening inside the coil than meets the eye.  Do you happen to have any images of any of the White's Goldmaster 24k coils?  Just curious. 🙂

• Like 2

Thank you for that strick! I've been waiting for these 🙂 It'd be good to see sometime if the 17" is fully spiral wound.

• Like 4

While this is not an X-ray, it’s a look at what’s inside the new Air Metal Detectors coils. They claim that unlike the Deus the coil passive, doing nothing more than transmitting a Bluetooth signal to the phone where all the processing is done. What say you?

708FDC2F-A289-4168-AA5A-BAED4B0A41A4.png

ABE1C483-DF45-403F-8F96-E08D21E72142.png

3D499E7D-3FFA-4E88-96D0-1145F71FB3B3.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

While this is not an X-ray, it’s a look at what’s inside the new Air Metal Detectors coils. They claim that unlike the Deus the coil passive, doing nothing more than transmitting a Bluetooth signal to the phone where all the processing is done. What say you?

From what I can tell, not sure you can believe much of anything these guys are saying about their tech or their ability to deliver product.  The rollout appears to be an unmitigated disaster from a logistics standpoint with basically minimal communication to their backers and no apparent rhyme or reason to the order of distribution.

And the performance reports that are trickling in from actual users run the gamut from total scam to almost but not quite “Go Find” level capabilities with reports of phone app compatibility issues, poor target audio ID, wildly unstable visual target IDs, interference susceptibility, and latency.  Discrimination, ground balance, and threshold “controls” that appear to not really do anything.  Not to mention the poorly designed stem system which has poor overall ergonomics, flexes wildly, and does not securely hold some phones to the cradle.  

So defending their claim as to whether the coil is “passive” (as claimed) or actually has Deus-like “processing” seems moot and appears to be the least of their problems.

I found nothing compelling about the project design in the first place, felt it was flawed to base the design around a cell phone that already has too many other applications/uses running simultaneously (classic Swiss Army knife compromise situation) and which doesn’t appreciably reduce size or the cost of entry vs. an arguably much more capable Simplex or Vanquish.  Basically, there was no doubt in my mind that it could be done.  But I don’t think any critical thought was put into questioning whether it should be done, even if it was technically executed well.

SMH.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Oh my! 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

And the performance reports that are trickling in from actual users run the gamut from total scam to almost but not quite “Go Find” level capabilities with reports of phone app compatibility issues, poor target audio ID, wildly unstable visual target IDs, interference susceptibility, and latency.  Discrimination, ground balance, and threshold “controls” that appear to not really do anything.  Not to mention the poorly designed stem system which has poor overall ergonomics, flexes wildly, and does not securely hold some phones to the cradle.  

I agree that this product appears to be a disaster. I trust many of the users reporting these findings and I know they would not be saying it if they could say something nice. They had high hopes for it. The idea that the phone is taking on more of a role than it is or can appears to be is one more way they are taking people in and offering them false hope that this project can be turned around with an app update. They continue to oversell what the phone is doing in relation to the coil. There appears to be every bit as much going on in this coil as Deus, yet, about 1/3 the performance (being generous) and they have no plans to update it. Having the components they claim the coil is limited to, and paying careful attention to their language, they appear to be dishonestly hedging their way through the bad press to release this hot mess into an unsuspecting general public with no changes to performance or their outlined specs (for example promising anywhere from 12”-14” in ground depth on coin sized objects depending on whether you read the retail box or website, when in fact it is not even air testing beyond single digits) at $399. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I agree that this product appears to be a disaster. I trust many of the users reporting these findings and I know they would not be saying it if they could say something nice. They had high hopes for it. The idea that the phone is taking on more of a role than it is or can appears to be is one more way they are taking people in and offering them false hope that this project can be turned around with an app update. They continue to oversell what the phone is doing in relation to the coil. There appears to be every bit as much going on in this coil as Deus, yet, about 1/3 the performance (being generous) and they have no plans to update it. Having the components they claim the coil is limited to, and paying careful attention to their language, they appear to be dishonestly hedging their way through the bad press to release this hot mess into an unsuspecting general public with no changes to performance or their outlined specs (for example promising anywhere from 12”-14” in ground depth on coin sized objects depending on whether you read the retail box or website, when in fact it is not even air testing beyond single digits) at $399. 

I agree.  I was really surprised by the number of what I would consider savvy detectorists who bought into this project.  I suspect a number of skeptics knew what they were buying into and perhaps thought they would take a flyer on the off chance that these guys would hit an unexpected home run or hoped to be able to credibly put out the word out to stay away by giving first hand reviews of the product.  Some appear to be tech challenged but experienced detectorists.  Many of the others, however, appear to be clueless about metal detecting in general and clueless about metal detecting equipment in particular.  Lacking the ability to critically discern that this was a loser from a value perspective as soon as detectors like Vanquish, Simplex, and even Apex started to make their appearance.  Like I said, I am not even sure if this product would be compelling even if the team checked all the boxes correctly.  Sad.

• Sad 1